View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:12 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I love small towns.

So from what I have heard iowa lawmakers listened to the garbage lobbyist and put in a law saying restaurants and stories with friers MUST have a waste oil pickup container. At first this hurt me since the place I that I was getting my oil is part of a bigger company that contracted with someone to put them at all the stores. But low and behold they have only picked it up once in almost 2yrs. So the lady that actually runs the deli in this truck stop just sets the container with the used oil into my truck for me while I am at work (I park the semi at this truck stop so my pickup sits in the parking lot when I am driving) She does this cause she knows me, and knows I watch out for her dad that lives across the street from me, plus my wife gives her dad the old donuts from the store she works at to feed the squirels (like I said small town LOL)

Ok so thats not the story though, the guy that used to run the local DQ has let his franchise go and is leasing the building to a young gal who is making a go at it in a similar type business icecream shop with food. So she has a 55 gal drum that she puts the oil in and it got full (doesn't have to be registered or anything just something other then the jugs it comes in IDK why) So the building owner starts calling around to find out about waste oil pickup and being small town my name pops up several times and finally someone gives him my cell number. So I agree to pick it up, and provided her with a new 55 gal drum to put the oil in and she starts wanting to know how much she owes me... I tell her nothing of coarse and she gives me an ice cream cone and tells me to stop by whenever for one. Seems as soon as they got the law passed these recycling companies instantly started charging something like 25 cents/lb for pickup. So of coarse my just picking it up for free is really appreciated.
Bums that push laws then jack prices. they should have put into the law that it was mandatory that they picked it up for the oil not for any charges.

Oh and this gal even strains it before putting it into the barrel.