I love small towns.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:12 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I love small towns.

So from what I have heard iowa lawmakers listened to the garbage lobbyist and put in a law saying restaurants and stories with friers MUST have a waste oil pickup container. At first this hurt me since the place I that I was getting my oil is part of a bigger company that contracted with someone to put them at all the stores. But low and behold they have only picked it up once in almost 2yrs. So the lady that actually runs the deli in this truck stop just sets the container with the used oil into my truck for me while I am at work (I park the semi at this truck stop so my pickup sits in the parking lot when I am driving) She does this cause she knows me, and knows I watch out for her dad that lives across the street from me, plus my wife gives her dad the old donuts from the store she works at to feed the squirels (like I said small town LOL)

Ok so thats not the story though, the guy that used to run the local DQ has let his franchise go and is leasing the building to a young gal who is making a go at it in a similar type business icecream shop with food. So she has a 55 gal drum that she puts the oil in and it got full (doesn't have to be registered or anything just something other then the jugs it comes in IDK why) So the building owner starts calling around to find out about waste oil pickup and being small town my name pops up several times and finally someone gives him my cell number. So I agree to pick it up, and provided her with a new 55 gal drum to put the oil in and she starts wanting to know how much she owes me... I tell her nothing of coarse and she gives me an ice cream cone and tells me to stop by whenever for one. Seems as soon as they got the law passed these recycling companies instantly started charging something like 25 cents/lb for pickup. So of coarse my just picking it up for free is really appreciated.
Bums that push laws then jack prices. they should have put into the law that it was mandatory that they picked it up for the oil not for any charges.

Oh and this gal even strains it before putting it into the barrel.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,883 Likes on 1,137 Posts
Nice. Good work being able to get your name to come up like that. Some of my sources have passed out my number to new places over the years - its nice to know they LIKE what we do and being 'small town', encourage everyone to 'keep it local'!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a pretty cool story. You have to pay for recycling of everyday items (paper, plastic, cardboard, etc), so it makes sense to me that there is a fee associated with it. I think it sucks because you pay them and then they turn around and sell it, but whatever. This is our world now.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:55 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, but always keep working on sources. Eventually, the grease mafia will stop by there and try to talk (scare) her into a grease barrel. I have lost several great sources of oil in the last year, even places that I thought were "friends".

If the restaurant gives me oil, I frequent the place! I think the restaurants I have lost are starting to realize that I brought them more business (family, friends, birthdays, holidays, etc.) than the pennies they are getting for their oil from the grease mafia.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Several of mine have been scared into a barrel, one local guy that I know real well had the health department stop by and tell him he HAD to pay the company to put a barrel in, but he argued with him and called his supervisor, the supervisor said there was no such requirement. He knew, but most people who are told this are scared into a container. I have considered incorporating my own company, but thats a lot of work. Someone I know at the local college where they make bio consulted into some laws and found that in Alabama, even if the container belongs to the company, the oil belongs to the restaraunt until it is in the companies truck, since the restaraunt bought the original oil. I have several that allow me to pump the grease companies container since they don't come often enough and the container stays full.