View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtrotte
I have been having trouble with my torque converter unlocking recently. Took it in to the dealership and they said it was the transmission solenoid pack. The part is $435.00 and would have to replace the transmission fluid. Total cost $800.00. Anybody familiar with this or krow of less costly alternative for repair. Any feedback would be appreciated.

The truck is a 2001 automatic pretty much stock.
I when throught the same whoo ha on my 7.3. It would drop out of 0d into 2nd and not take 3rd. The solenoid pack was replaced and I had the same problem again.

Need more details on exactly what it is doing and mods?

I found my PCM had failed after spending $XXXX on the transmission. If the PCM fails it will prevent the transmission from staying in OD and will failsafe to 2nd. It will have 1,2, R but no 3 or OD. Mine would work for 20 miles or so then when hot fail out of OD into 2nd.

Do the normal checks on the coil pack as per Ford manual. It might also be the selector switch failing on the side of the transmission.

Don't be in too big hurry to change the coil pack. I am not saying it isn't the coils but they are very reliable and other compenents will cause the same problem.

Best of luck you really need a GOOD shop to help diagnose. For me I had the best tranny guy within 300 miles. Everyone kept saying If you would have bought a.......... But the problem was not the transmission but an external component.