Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmission solenoid pack??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 AM
mtrotte
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission solenoid pack??????

I have been having trouble with my torque converter unlocking recently. Took it in to the dealership and they said it was the transmission solenoid pack. The part is $435.00 and would have to replace the transmission fluid. Total cost $800.00. Anybody familiar with this or krow of less costly alternative for repair. Any feedback would be appreciated.

The truck is a 2001 automatic pretty much stock.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtrotte
I have been having trouble with my torque converter unlocking recently. Took it in to the dealership and they said it was the transmission solenoid pack. The part is $435.00 and would have to replace the transmission fluid. Total cost $800.00. Anybody familiar with this or krow of less costly alternative for repair. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I when throught the same whoo ha on my 7.3. It would drop out of 0d into 2nd and not take 3rd. The solenoid pack was replaced and I had the same problem again.

Need more details on exactly what it is doing and mods?

I found my PCM had failed after spending $XXXX on the transmission. If the PCM fails it will prevent the transmission from staying in OD and will failsafe to 2nd. It will have 1,2, R but no 3 or OD. Mine would work for 20 miles or so then when hot fail out of OD into 2nd.

Do the normal checks on the coil pack as per Ford manual. It might also be the selector switch failing on the side of the transmission.

Don't be in too big hurry to change the coil pack. I am not saying it isn't the coils but they are very reliable and other compenents will cause the same problem.

Best of luck you really need a GOOD shop to help diagnose. For me I had the best tranny guy within 300 miles. Everyone kept saying If you would have bought a.......... But the problem was not the transmission but an external component.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mtrotte
The part is $435.00 and would have to replace the transmission fluid. Total cost $800.00. Anybody familiar with this or krow of less costly alternative for repair. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheaper alternative is fix it yourself if you can and get the part from a discounter. As was mentioned, make sure that the solenoid pack is the problem.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
If you have the desire, I have the specs for the solenoid pack. You can test it without pulling anything but the connector off the top of the pan side. Get out your multimeter.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nhill2090
If you have the desire, I have the specs for the solenoid pack. You can test it without pulling anything but the connector off the top of the pan side. Get out your multimeter.

That will help him a lot to do as you suggest. The coil packs are nothing special just electrical coils and if good won't be the problem.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by nhill2090
Please post them up!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:42 PM
mtrotte
New User
Nic,

Would love to have the specs. If you can post them would be greatly apperciated.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:06 AM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
i got mine for just over $300 from my local dealer. negotiate the price down with them or shop around. discovered a bad connection on one of the connectors on the old pack. but already installed the new one and I don't think open electrical components are returnable... Frustrating to know it just needed a spot of solder!!! well at least I have a spare now

Old 07-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by vettdvr
That will help him a lot to do as you suggest. The coil packs are nothing special just electrical coils and if good won't be the problem.
The only manner in which I'm familiar with the term "coil pack" is for the COP's (Coil Over Plug) found on the Ford modular gas engines, like my Lightning. When you keep using the term coil packs, are you referring to individual coils within the solenoid pack?

Stewart

Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 AM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
give me until tonight, i dont have my 4r100 manual with me.

If I was you, I would check out ebay. I bought a solenoid pack for a 4r100 I rebuilt off an ebay seller for like $200. You need the PWM style one, and they are supposedly new and not reman.

Here is the company I went through..

Here is there site..http://www.transmissioncenter.net/E4OD.htm

and an ebay solenoid pack .. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
The only manner in which I'm familiar with the term "coil pack" is for the COP's (Coil Over Plug) found on the Ford modular gas engines, like my Lightning. When you keep using the term coil packs, are you referring to individual coils within the solenoid pack?

Stewart

Yes a coil pack is a set of solenoid coils that will turn off in combination when the signal is sent from the PCM. The coils have 4 states.

1 off 2 off
1 on 2 off
1 off 2 on
1 on 2 on

These conditions are what determines what gear your transmission is in. If I remember correctly fail safe is 1st and 2nd. I don't remember which solenoid conditions will cause this but probably 1 off 2 off and 1 on 2 off.

The inputs to the pcm are the speed from the reluctor mounted on the diff and the oil temp. The tranny oil temp will cause a change in shifting until the transmission warms up. Some mod and take this out.

The selector mounted on the DS rear of the transmission is the manual power selector that will allow the driver to shift manually in 1, 2 or 3rd the button on the shifter of course is OD.

There are only 2 ways the coils can fail. Open/burn out either of the 2 coils or have the solenoid plunger fail. There is also an update coil pack which I had installed last year when I had a total rebuild on mine.

SO given no internal transmission issues. Items to cause your problem are:

1) coil pack
2) switch on the side of the transmission TSR I think it is called
3) wiring or plug issues
4) PCM This was my problem and expect even with a used one to cost around $700 to $1000

NOTE if you buy a used one dont' trade your old one until a locksmith has transferred all the security information. Make sure the VIN numbers match any PCM you install. Buying new from Ford direct will help avoid this problem.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
patience guys, been busy the last couple days

I will get them on though..

Old 05-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Yes a coil pack is a set of solenoid coils that will turn off in combination when the signal is sent from the PCM.
It's called a solenoid body in Ford-speak. If you go to a parts counter and ask for coils you'll probably get ignition coils.

If I remember correctly fail safe is 1st and 2nd.
You don't remember correctly. The only fail safe built into the trans is if the solenoids don't have any power. That will default to fourth gear only. You would be able to select second gear with the gear shift lever.

The inputs to the pcm are the speed from the reluctor mounted on the diff and the oil temp.
The two most important inputs are vehicle speed and pedal position. Those two determine the shift and lock schedules, with many modifiers.

There are only 2 ways the coils can fail. Open/burn out either of the 2 coils or have the solenoid plunger fail. There is also an update coil pack which I had installed last year when I had a total rebuild on mine.
A common fault that is often misdiagnosed is the wiring to the solenoids gets shorted to ground and the solenoid is always energized.

2) switch on the side of the transmission TSR I think it is called
TRS. Transmission Range Sensor.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:51 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Thread was from 2009. Good info from Mark as always though.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Oops! Usually I notice that.

I'm sure the OP has been waiting to order parts for 7 years for the best place to get them.

Quick Reply: Transmission solenoid pack??????