Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 AM
New User

mtrotte is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission solenoid pack??????

I have been having trouble with my torque converter unlocking recently. Took it in to the dealership and they said it was the transmission solenoid pack. The part is $435.00 and would have to replace the transmission fluid. Total cost $800.00. Anybody familiar with this or krow of less costly alternative for repair. Any feedback would be appreciated.

The truck is a 2001 automatic pretty much stock.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Posting Guru

vettdvr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrotte View Post
I have been having trouble with my torque converter unlocking recently. Took it in to the dealership and they said it was the transmission solenoid pack. The part is $435.00 and would have to replace the transmission fluid. Total cost $800.00. Anybody familiar with this or krow of less costly alternative for repair. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I when throught the same whoo ha on my 7.3. It would drop out of 0d into 2nd and not take 3rd. The solenoid pack was replaced and I had the same problem again.

Need more details on exactly what it is doing and mods?

I found my PCM had failed after spending $XXXX on the transmission. If the PCM fails it will prevent the transmission from staying in OD and will failsafe to 2nd. It will have 1,2, R but no 3 or OD. Mine would work for 20 miles or so then when hot fail out of OD into 2nd.

Do the normal checks on the coil pack as per Ford manual. It might also be the selector switch failing on the side of the transmission.

Don't be in too big hurry to change the coil pack. I am not saying it isn't the coils but they are very reliable and other compenents will cause the same problem.

Best of luck you really need a GOOD shop to help diagnose. For me I had the best tranny guy within 300 miles. Everyone kept saying If you would have bought a.......... But the problem was not the transmission but an external component.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Post Fiend

Tenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrotte View Post
The part is $435.00 and would have to replace the transmission fluid. Total cost $800.00. Anybody familiar with this or krow of less costly alternative for repair. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheaper alternative is fix it yourself if you can and get the part from a discounter. As was mentioned, make sure that the solenoid pack is the problem.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Posting Guru

nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you have the desire, I have the specs for the solenoid pack. You can test it without pulling anything but the connector off the top of the pan side. Get out your multimeter.
PAA Member #1
Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhill2090 View Post
If you have the desire, I have the specs for the solenoid pack. You can test it without pulling anything but the connector off the top of the pan side. Get out your multimeter.

That will help him a lot to do as you suggest. The coil packs are nothing special just electrical coils and if good won't be the problem.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Senior User

Justin03PSD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhill2090 View Post
Please post them up!

Zoodad - 6637 covered by Pete - RiffRaff AIH delete, boots, and plenum inserts - Magnaflow #17979 4" exhaust - DP Tuner F5 chip 40T, 80E, 120R - Autometer #3804 boost and #3845 EGT gauges - EBPV delete - USA ported shroud compressor housing - Garrett high flow outlet - Warn 11690 hubs
Old 07-13-2009, 02:42 PM
New User

mtrotte is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nic,

Would love to have the specs. If you can post them would be greatly apperciated.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Posting Guru

soutthpaw has a good reputation on FTE.soutthpaw has a good reputation on FTE.
i got mine for just over $300 from my local dealer. negotiate the price down with them or shop around. discovered a bad connection on one of the connectors on the old pack. but already installed the new one and I don't think open electrical components are returnable... Frustrating to know it just needed a spot of solder!!! well at least I have a spare now
Project: 94' Isuzu FSR Crewcab 12' flatbed dump
Old 07-14-2009, 01:50 AM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettdvr View Post
That will help him a lot to do as you suggest. The coil packs are nothing special just electrical coils and if good won't be the problem.
The only manner in which I'm familiar with the term "coil pack" is for the COP's (Coil Over Plug) found on the Ford modular gas engines, like my Lightning. When you keep using the term coil packs, are you referring to individual coils within the solenoid pack?

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Posting Guru

nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.
give me until tonight, i dont have my 4r100 manual with me.

If I was you, I would check out ebay. I bought a solenoid pack for a 4r100 I rebuilt off an ebay seller for like $200. You need the PWM style one, and they are supposedly new and not reman.

Here is the company I went through..

Here is there site..http://www.transmissioncenter.net/E4OD.htm

and an ebay solenoid pack .. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories
PAA Member #1
Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
The only manner in which I'm familiar with the term "coil pack" is for the COP's (Coil Over Plug) found on the Ford modular gas engines, like my Lightning. When you keep using the term coil packs, are you referring to individual coils within the solenoid pack?

Stewart

Yes a coil pack is a set of solenoid coils that will turn off in combination when the signal is sent from the PCM. The coils have 4 states.

1 off 2 off
1 on 2 off
1 off 2 on
1 on 2 on

These conditions are what determines what gear your transmission is in. If I remember correctly fail safe is 1st and 2nd. I don't remember which solenoid conditions will cause this but probably 1 off 2 off and 1 on 2 off.

The inputs to the pcm are the speed from the reluctor mounted on the diff and the oil temp. The tranny oil temp will cause a change in shifting until the transmission warms up. Some mod and take this out.

The selector mounted on the DS rear of the transmission is the manual power selector that will allow the driver to shift manually in 1, 2 or 3rd the button on the shifter of course is OD.

There are only 2 ways the coils can fail. Open/burn out either of the 2 coils or have the solenoid plunger fail. There is also an update coil pack which I had installed last year when I had a total rebuild on mine.

SO given no internal transmission issues. Items to cause your problem are:

1) coil pack
2) switch on the side of the transmission TSR I think it is called
3) wiring or plug issues
4) PCM This was my problem and expect even with a used one to cost around $700 to $1000

NOTE if you buy a used one dont' trade your old one until a locksmith has transferred all the security information. Make sure the VIN numbers match any PCM you install. Buying new from Ford direct will help avoid this problem.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Posting Guru

patience guys, been busy the last couple days

I will get them on though..
PAA Member #1
Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2001, 2002, 73, coil, cost, explorer, f150, ford, location, pack, powerstroke, replace, solenoid, solenoids, test, transmission