Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 PM
JSVGS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 6.0L PSD Rough Idle and Running - Ideas?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to FTE and I'm glad I joined. Allot of good information, and I've read though the bible and allot of the forums

Here is my story.

I bought a 2003 6.0 L diesel excursion last year to haul my trailer and all my family. I'm the 3 owner (I think). It's the perfect vehicle for us, but we've been having some problems with it.

Last week I was hauling my trailer home from storage to get it ready for the weekend (about 20 miles). I was going around a corner, with the trailer on, and noticed from mirror that there was black smoke coming from the tail pipe (not allot just when I accelerate). It was odd because it never smoked before, other than start up. Dropped the trailer off and had the x running for about 10 minutes and idling fine.
About an hour later I took it to goto a store (about 10 miles away). Stopped at a stop sign and the vehicle started to idle rough and started to chug. Drove onto a highway and no problems - came back home and then the problem started.
Really rough Idle and no power - stalled in the drive way twice. Let it cool down and it started but rough. Hooked up my OBDII with no errors or faults. Read the forums and checked my fuel filters for water (nothing) - changed the fuel filters about 2500 miles ago. Changed oil about 750 miles. I've cleaned the EGR and it was carboned up. Started the x after cleaning the EGR, and sitting for the day, it ran good for about 3 minutes and then started to run rough again. Black smoke comes out when the engine is accelerating.
Is it possible that I have a HPOP problem because this starts when oil viscosity decreases?
I also called a local dealer to get oasis info from them - found out it was in the dealer 3 times in 2007 and 2008 for problems like this. They replaced 2 injectors the fuel pump and EGR.. 3 months ago I had an oil leak from the turbo drain line and it was repaired.
Am I on the right track? Should I add any additive to the oil maybe to resolve stiction? Also why can't I pick up any codes with my scanner?

Thanks JSVGS