View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 AM
EricPero
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercury45
no... to properly tell if the knuckle seal is bad... rip the hub off as you said you did already, grab the stub shaft with a rag - use my pdf for ball joints and yank on the axle shaft... you can pry the u joint to help you get it out - its got a good seal in the diff so the first time is tough.

The part you showed is a pinion seal... this goes between the pinion gear and the front driveshaft of the front differential... totally different.

here is the tool.... Lisle LIS38060 AXLE SEAL INSTALLER FORD F SERIES TRUCKS

here is where the knuckle seal (sometimes called a main seal or main axle seal) goes

http://quad4x4.com/images/front%20ax...arts%20054.jpg

pull the axle shaft out... the knuckle seal goes on the stub shaft (short axle) and the dust seal goes on the axle shaft - longer axle.

i had to get my seals at ford... but i recall somebody finding them online somewhere

they are 80 bux from ford

they are called main seal or knuckle seal NOT PINION SEAL

just making sure you know

kenny
OK...here's another one. I finally have the passenger side apart (knuckle off, axle shaft out). I still need to get the bearings out of the hub...how do I get the needle bearing and the main bearing? Can I use a ball joint press? What is the part number for the main bearing? I checked with Ben at Powerstrokeshop.com and he said that there is no Ford replacement part for the main bearing; only the hub replacement @ $255.

Thanks,
Eric