Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels Click Here

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 PM
EricPero's Avatar
EricPero EricPero is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bethany, Connecticut
Posts: 25
EricPero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation 2000 F-350 Front Axle Problem

Hi all,
Here's my problem. I have a 2000 F-350 Super Duty 4x4 with major front-end issues. I removed the following items on the passenger front end:

Brake Pads: Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Rotor Front:
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Rotor Back:
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Caliper bracket showing wear:
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Hub bearing:
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Does this look like a major brake problem? I was thinking of ordering new rotors and brakes from RotorPros.

Here's the big question. I found MAJOR play in the area I am pointing to in the picture. Can anyone please tell me exactly what this part is and how do I get the axle out? Could you also tell me how big of a job it is to replace it and how much it would cost to replace? Any assistance with this would be appreciated since I can't drive the truck to and from work until I fix this problem.

Thanks,
Eric

What is this?
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Here's the picture of the exposed axle (where it is left at right now until I can fix it):
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Lazy K Lazy K is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,402
Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
The part you are pointing at is the axle shaft with the universal joint in it.
I would think the problem with it is caused either by what looks like a bad wheel bearing or the universal is worn/seized.
To get the axle shaft out you will have to remove the spindle (the tube that the hub rotates on). The spindle is bolted to the steering knuckle. Once that is off, depending on what axle you have the axle shaft should pull right out.
Hopefully someone who knows more about the later trucks will chime in soon.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-06-2009, 09:26 AM
brian42's Avatar
brian42 brian42 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,617
brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPero View Post
You are pointing to the dust seal for the axle. It falls out on a lot of our rigs. No big deal, although the next time you are in there I would replace it.
__________________
"CHIEF"
2003 F-250 PSD 7.3 Lariat FX4 CC/SB, 4R100, 3.73LS, Dual Alternators, 250K+ Miles
Installed: PHP Phoenix (6-Pos Chip), In-Tank and Harpoon Mod, SS HPX, FTVB, 6637, XRF Ball Joints
Waiting in the Garage: MBRP exhaust, ISSPRO EV2 gauges, EBPV delete pedestal, 6.0 Intercooler, 6.0 Trans Cooler (26 row)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 AM
EricPero's Avatar
EricPero EricPero is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bethany, Connecticut
Posts: 25
EricPero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
You are pointing to the dust seal for the axle. It falls out on a lot of our rigs. No big deal, although the next time you are in there I would replace it.
Thanks. The problem is that there is a LOT of play in the axle going into the axle shaft. When I grab hold of the spindle shaft (bear with my part descriptions), it moves sloppily left, right, up and down. A new seal will not prevent that much movement. It seems like something broke or became lose.

Any ideas on how to determine that?

Thanks,
Eric
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 AM
EricPero's Avatar
EricPero EricPero is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bethany, Connecticut
Posts: 25
EricPero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy K View Post
The part you are pointing at is the axle shaft with the universal joint in it.
I would think the problem with it is caused either by what looks like a bad wheel bearing or the universal is worn/seized.
To get the axle shaft out you will have to remove the spindle (the tube that the hub rotates on). The spindle is bolted to the steering knuckle. Once that is off, depending on what axle you have the axle shaft should pull right out.
Hopefully someone who knows more about the later trucks will chime in soon.
OK...the wheel bearing that I removed; how do I determine if it's bad? The needle bearings look fine (lubricated, none missing)...should there be any play when I move it up/down/left/right? It looks like I am at the point where I'll need "special" tools to remove the spindle, steering arm, etc? Am I right? Bear with me since this is stuff I have never worked on before.

Thanks,
Eric
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Lazy K Lazy K is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,402
Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
The needle bearing is just to support the axle shaft, it should be sound but is not the wheel bearing. The big bearings inside the hub should rotate freely and not feel "rough" when rotated nor should they make any kind of a noise.
The spindle should be held on with bolts and once they are removed it should come off. It may need a bit of help by placing a block of wood on the spindle and hitting the wood hard with a big hammer. Do this down, sideways and up. If that doesn`t work you may have to rent a spindle puller to get it off.
The steering knuckle is attached to the axle by two ball joints. To get it off you need to remove the nuts from the ball joints and then drive a pickle fork type ball joint remover tool in between the knuckle and axle flanges to "break" the taper joint apart.
However unless you are fitting new ball joints you should not need the steering knuckle off.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Mercury45 Mercury45 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 396
Mercury45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPero View Post
Hi all,
Here's my problem. I have a 2000 F-350 Super Duty 4x4 with major front-end issues. I removed the following items on the passenger front end:

Brake Pads: Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Rotor Front:
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Rotor Back:
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Caliper bracket showing wear:
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Hub bearing:
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Does this look like a major brake problem? I was thinking of ordering new rotors and brakes from RotorPros.

Here's the big question. I found MAJOR play in the area I am pointing to in the picture. Can anyone please tell me exactly what this part is and how do I get the axle out? Could you also tell me how big of a job it is to replace it and how much it would cost to replace? Any assistance with this would be appreciated since I can't drive the truck to and from work until I fix this problem.

Thanks,
Eric

What is this?
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Here's the picture of the exposed axle (where it is left at right now until I can fix it):
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

i have an 03 and had it apart up front many times...

the MAIN KNUCKLE SEAL will cause the play you are talking about

http://truckhelpdesk.com/web/ball.pdf

kenny
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Lazy K Lazy K is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,402
Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
Mercury 45, neat link. I was giving him wrong info. I thought it was a defferent axle. If he goes with your info he should be OK.
Sending rep points.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
EricPero's Avatar
EricPero EricPero is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bethany, Connecticut
Posts: 25
EricPero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury45 View Post
i have an 03 and had it apart up front many times...

the MAIN KNUCKLE SEAL will cause the play you are talking about

http://truckhelpdesk.com/web/ball.pdf

kenny
Kenny,
So are you saying that there should be play when the axle shaft is moved? Why does it move then when I had everything on before stripping it down? The main bearing seems fine. I'm still at a loss.

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Mercury45 Mercury45 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 396
Mercury45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPero View Post
Kenny,
So are you saying that there should be play when the axle shaft is moved? Why does it move then when I had everything on before stripping it down? The main bearing seems fine. I'm still at a loss.

Eric
did you review mypdf file? it shows a bad knuckle seal vs a good one i think thats in there...

play will occur if your knuckle seal is bad or non existant...

let me see if i can find a pic... here is one Knuckle seal image by DJR96 on Photobucket the knuckle seal goes on the stub shaft

kenny
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Mercury45 Mercury45 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 396
Mercury45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy K View Post
Mercury 45, neat link. I was giving him wrong info. I thought it was a defferent axle. If he goes with your info he should be OK.
Sending rep points.

i try to make writeups for all the stuff i do with my truck... i also got one on lock out hubs

kenny
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Mercury45 Mercury45 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 396
Mercury45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
oops it was in this write up at the end... have a look

http://truckhelpdesk.com/web/hub.pdf

kenny
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-07-2009, 01:23 PM
EricPero's Avatar
EricPero EricPero is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bethany, Connecticut
Posts: 25
EricPero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury45 View Post
did you review mypdf file? it shows a bad knuckle seal vs a good one i think thats in there...

play will occur if your knuckle seal is bad or non existant...

let me see if i can find a pic... here is one Knuckle seal image by DJR96 on Photobucket the knuckle seal goes on the stub shaft

kenny
So if I grab the spindle and try to move it up/down/left/right, and it does move, then the knuckle seal is bad? If so, is this the correct part I need?


Pinion Seal - Front Axle


Part: NOS 15503
Product Line: NAPA Oil Seals
Price
Unit

:
:

26.49
Each

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Mercury45 Mercury45 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 396
Mercury45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPero View Post
So if I grab the spindle and try to move it up/down/left/right, and it does move, then the knuckle seal is bad? If so, is this the correct part I need?


Pinion Seal - Front Axle


Part: NOS 15503
Product Line: NAPA Oil Seals
Price
Unit

:
:

26.49
Each


no... to properly tell if the knuckle seal is bad... rip the hub off as you said you did already, grab the stub shaft with a rag - use my pdf for ball joints and yank on the axle shaft... you can pry the u joint to help you get it out - its got a good seal in the diff so the first time is tough.

The part you showed is a pinion seal... this goes between the pinion gear and the front driveshaft of the front differential... totally different.

here is the tool.... Lisle LIS38060 AXLE SEAL INSTALLER FORD F SERIES TRUCKS

here is where the knuckle seal (sometimes called a main seal or main axle seal) goes

http://quad4x4.com/images/front%20ax...arts%20054.jpg


pull the axle shaft out... the knuckle seal goes on the stub shaft (short axle) and the dust seal goes on the axle shaft - longer axle.

i had to get my seals at ford... but i recall somebody finding them online somewhere

they are 80 bux from ford

they are called main seal or knuckle seal NOT PINION SEAL

just making sure you know

kenny
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 AM
EricPero's Avatar
EricPero EricPero is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bethany, Connecticut
Posts: 25
EricPero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury45 View Post
no... to properly tell if the knuckle seal is bad... rip the hub off as you said you did already, grab the stub shaft with a rag - use my pdf for ball joints and yank on the axle shaft... you can pry the u joint to help you get it out - its got a good seal in the diff so the first time is tough.

The part you showed is a pinion seal... this goes between the pinion gear and the front driveshaft of the front differential... totally different.

here is the tool.... Lisle LIS38060 AXLE SEAL INSTALLER FORD F SERIES TRUCKS

here is where the knuckle seal (sometimes called a main seal or main axle seal) goes

http://quad4x4.com/images/front%20ax...arts%20054.jpg


pull the axle shaft out... the knuckle seal goes on the stub shaft (short axle) and the dust seal goes on the axle shaft - longer axle.

i had to get my seals at ford... but i recall somebody finding them online somewhere

they are 80 bux from ford

they are called main seal or knuckle seal NOT PINION SEAL

just making sure you know

kenny
OK...here's another one. I finally have the passenger side apart (knuckle off, axle shaft out). I still need to get the bearings out of the hub...how do I get the needle bearing and the main bearing? Can I use a ball joint press? What is the part number for the main bearing? I checked with Ben at Powerstrokeshop.com and he said that there is no Ford replacement part for the main bearing; only the hub replacement @ $255.

Thanks,
Eric
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Center seat out, console in COMPLETE!! cabindoc 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 12 07-18-2011 07:33 PM
Found small little pins in my oil pressure regulator Where did they come from mahimahiman 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 28 03-15-2011 11:34 AM
Need some help with hutch mod please r-kid 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 15 03-12-2011 10:59 PM
Help identifing correct timing marker stxchck13 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 5 03-12-2010 10:57 AM
why does my 6.0 look different? clinter36 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6 09-16-2009 06:31 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels

Tags
2000, 2006, axle, bearings, differential, f350, ford, front, hub, knuckel, knuckle, removing, seal, shaft, steering

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup