View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 11:41 PM
artfd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removing clutch slave cylinder

The clutch hydraulics on my 1983 F250 6.9L Diesel went out for the 2nd time in 26 years. This time I will fix it myself if I can. I took a closeup photo of my actual slave cylinder, shown here.
didn't help me much.
My copy of the 1983 Helm service manual tells how to remove the slave cylinder (p. 16-04-2) thus:
"4. Push the clutch slave cylinder rearward to disengage the two retaining tabs of the release cylinder from the retainer bracket and from the recess in the bell housing lugs and then slide forward to remove. Disengage the push rod from the release lever as the slave cylinder is removed."
The slave cylinder seems rigidly mounted against the bracket & doesn't move at all when I push it "rearward" The springy metal clip that holds the cylinder to the bracket is thick & strong looking compared to the cylinder. The only "engagement' of the end of the push rod with the release lever seems to be that it fits in a slight dimpling of the metal of the release lever. Is it attached any other way?
I'd appreciate any hints on how this can be removed by real people.
Also, the manual states "The clutch hydraulic system is serviced as a complete assembly and is pre-filled and bled. Individual components are not available." I have found no source for a complete assembly for my vehicle, just a list of individual components that need to be assembled, filled & bled. I take the complete assemblies are not longer being made for my 1983 model. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.