View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by tabascom16
I made a heat exchanger to run all my fuel through. I used about 35ft of copper tubing and made a coil out of it and put it in pipe...put some lining around the coil so it wont rub on the pipe. I got two fuel selector valves to use one for the incoming and one for the return fuel. I did this so I could switch them independently of each other. At idle it takes almost 5 minutes for the WVO to be fully into the system and same way when turning it off. Without two valves that makes a lot of fuel go to the wrong take where you dont want it. Even my diesel runs through the heat exchanger which I did so it will warm up the system before I switch over to WVO. I am not heating the fuel in the tank...only once it hits the heat exchanger. I can start running WVO as soon as the engine starts getting to temp...not waiting for the fuel to warm up. I have done some testing about throwing WVO in the freezer and it doesnt seem to thicken up awfully bad. I have not got to run it in the winter though.

I have about $200 tied up in my system. And I dont see how it could work any better or worse than the expensive systems that will turn valves on and off and turn your engine off and everything. Awfully expensive features.
Wow, where do I start? Ok, lets focus on the WORST parts. The copper will turn your VO into chicken-skin in short order. Heating the diesel is BAD (loses its lubricity - say bye-bye IP). Soon, you will see why some of those 'expensive' features are important.

PLEASE, PLEASE promise to come back and show us pictures of the carnage - I PROMISE I will NEVER say I told you so, but you may be able to save others from making the same mistakes!