Old 08-01-2008, 11:14 AM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fosters
The main point of my last post was basically, the torque multiplication - what you end up with at the wheels regardless if you have a 1000lb of torque motor and 1:1 gears or 250lb tq motor and 4:1 gears, matters quite a bit... We already know Ford won't allow optional lower (higher numerically) gear ratios for whatever reason, so we're left w/ wanting more engine output... If indeed 310/365 is what it'll come out to (kind of doubt they'd leave the torque the same), then they'll be really behind until the diesel comes; since everyone else on the market is in the 400+ torque range.

Also, everyone seems to get caught up in the hp vs torque thing... who cares. hp is a function of torque; people asking for more hp or more tq or whatever simply want the truck to perform better, while towing, or plain being closer if not a bit above the competition... I'd be perfectly happy with 350hp/430tq out of a gasser F150. HP wise it would still be under the competition, but torque wise it would be in the same range if not a bit over... Isn't that how the F150 has traditionally been?

But we all know that's not gonna happen. Had I been able to find a new V10, I'd have been a much happier camper... but oh well.

a 4.6 based 3v v10 would be a good motor for an F150... 5.8 liters and 375/400 (1.25 x the 3v 4.6 numbers) wouldn't be too hard to do, and wouldn't require much development - heads are already there, and mod motors shine when it comes to cyl config... Plus, it would make sense too, it would be the baby brother of the 6.8 V10...
With the new 6spd and the low gearing of the trans, hopefully this will/can hold those people wanting more over until the 4.4L and/or 5.0L comes out in the next few years. I also could do with the 350/430 quote, when compared to the competition, that's about where they've always been, on average (less hp but equal if not more lb-ft). That 5.8L sounds interesting, but as we all know, it ain't happening.