Old 07-19-2008, 12:38 PM
jstutz101
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear end "popping/clicking" Solved....Long Rant...

If your having trouble with your Ford Explorer this will make you feel better...

We bought our 2002 Explorer three years ago. It has had a random "clicking" sound coming from the rear end since day one. Plan on going on a family road trip so I decided we needed new tires (69,000 miles). After dropping off the car the mechanic calls and asks "are you getting new tires because they are worn or noisy?" I tell him both then he gives me the news of a bad front wheel bearing. After reading the posts here I am not surprised. So on top of the $600 for tires we are now going to spend $380 for the new front drivers side bearing replacement.

Anxious to drive the car I hit the highway to "hear" how quiet it is. Amazingly enough the front end is dead quiet. Steering wheel is smooth as silk, it has never been this good. That front bearing has been bad from day one, I just thought it was the way the car was. THEN I notice a "ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh" coming from the rear end. Not a real obvious or loud noise, but after you tune into it you can't miss it. Then also the notorious popping sound when coming up to a stop light and driving parking lot speeds.

I call the mechanic back and ask about fixing the rear end noise. He says he dosent have the tools for the rear and suggested a local transmission shop. Take it there and tell them my story. He asks me what year and model and says right away "we have had a lot of differential bearing trouble with '02 Explorers." Ends up they had to replace the three bearings in the differential and since it was there I had them replace the two wheel bearings. Total for that work is $1205. The mechanic showed me the old bearings, I didn't think they looked that bad. He showed me the pit marks and worn spots, some even had a few small "pieces" missing. After bad mouthing Ford for there bearing troubles he informed me that there really are only a couple bearing manufacturers out there so it really isn't all Ford's fault. He said he gets plenty of Chevy and Dodge vehicles too. Not sure why the Japanese bearing last so long, but I am pretty sure my next car will be a Toyota.

My wife just called me from the car and can't believe how quiet the car is. It hasent made any clicking noises since so I am sure that had to do with differential.

So bottom line is I bought new tires for $2000. I think I would have been better off renting a car for the family trip!!!

Thanks for listening to my rant...

PS. While was writing this my wife just called from the car. She went over a rough set of RR tracks and now there is a loud banging coming from the rear diiferential. UUUUHHHHGGGGG! Obvioiusly not the cars fault, still not good. We dropped the car back off at the shop and now have had to rent a car. The new bottom line is I paid $2200 to rent a car and get new tires on a car that dosen't work! I think it is time for a BEER!