View Single Post
Old 02-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Post How not to change a fan clutch.

Well my fan clutch has gone out. It is really squealing and I knew I'd better take care of it before it goes through the radiator of my F250.

So I went down to NAPA and got the special tool that is needed to hold the pulley while you wrench off the shaft that has the clutch and fan assembly. Got home and tried to do it myself. I did remember that it is a left hand thread and so applied force accordingly. Tried it several times before I realized I was going to need a cheater and another body. It was at this point my neighbor got involved. Now with my neighbor holding '3 of pipe on the "1/2 breaker bar I tried it again. No go. The 4 letter words are starting to flow pretty good at this point. I just want to take the thing off! It's all my neighbor can do to hold the cheater bar while I apply force to the other "1/2 breaker bar. Dang, this thing is tough! It seems like most break lose fairly easily. Not this one. So I tried it one more time and really put the mustard to it. Just about the time I thought it was going to go..BANG, CLATTER, OUCH!.

The wrench that is used to hold the pulley still had shattered and the "3 piece flew up and nailed me right in the forehead. It left a "1 grove in my forehead and bleed pretty good to.

It was at this point that I realized I could probably pay someone else to remove the damn thing a whole lot easier and safer.

I took the now broken wrench back to NAPA. They refunded my $60 and said they'd never seen one broke before.

The truck goes in Monday.