View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Ford428CJ
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is what you do to help your mileage.

* First if you have points, change them out with a pertronixs or a mid 70's dizzy! Or a aftermarket one would be best (only if you are going to make engine changes down the road and tune-ability).

* Next a intake for it. I would rather see you run a Blue Thunder or if not, then one of these RPM, F427, PI, and very last (and I do mean last) a performer. You may upgrade your engine later and have a kick a$$ intake in hand when needed....

* Headers! Get a good set of headers like Hooker Comps (NOT the supper comps) and a dual 2 1/2" exhaust straight out the back with muffs on it.

* Run a Box on it (Either MSD or a Mallory) 6 with coil. I have ran both and I like both of them. NO Issues, no matter witch way you go!

* Setting your timing is also a big deal too. Total between 34-36 degrees.

* Big one here is gearing. Running down the highway and taching 2,100-2,300RPMs doing 55-60MPH.

Those are things that need to happen "IF" you want to squeeze the mileage out of it. You should be able to get 14-16mpg. Also I think that 470 is a little small, I would have liked to see a 600 on it. But I guess it doesnt matter if you are looking for mileage only. JMHO is all it is.......