Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 PM
eco
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diagnostic equipment for EEC-IV.......PICS

In a recent thread some folks did not seem to be aware of what is available to trouble shoot these rigs. The scanners out (generic and manufacturer specific) there don't do much for OBD-I since there is no "Data Link Connector." However, many of the functions that modern scanners (Snap-On Modis, MAC Mentor, manufacturer specific scaners) allow one to do on OBD-II rigs (and then some) can be done with the EEC-IV ODB-I rigs too. It's just a matter of knowing what is available and where to get it. Over the years I have accmulated a fair amount of EEC-IV specific test equipment, and I will share with you what it is and what it does

The most usefull of the EEC-IV specific tools is the Monitor. It hooks up in series with the computer and the wiring harness. It has a built-in digital display (for volts, ohms, mSEC, hz, DEG...which ever you choose) that you can set where ever you want within a 5 feet range (roughly) which comes in handy for test drives. You can choose to display whatever you want...be it TPS, MAP, MAF, coolat temp sensor, fuel injector pulse width.....whatever. The big fat **** with the blue and pink around it is used to select what get displayed on the digital display. The Monitor also displays the firing of the injectors in real time, the spout (whether or not it is hooked up), the switching of the O2 sensor(s) in real time, the TAD and TAB and much more all with a series of LEDs. Each application calls for a different overlay. I use the 92 Mustang overlay since that is the computer that I have. If anyone here gets a Monitor but needs an overlay, I can likely hook you up. I have almost every overlay that was made. The Monitor also came with a couple thousand pages of text to troubleshoot, I have that too. This is just the tip of the iceberg regarding what the Monitor can do.

This is the Monitor Recorder. It allows you to record up to 8 channels of what the Monitor sees. You can record up to a certain amount of time (10 minutes I think, just push the START RECORD button) and when you are done you hit CAPTURE. You then playback the channels you recorded 1 or 2 at a time. The data either displayed on the digital readout, the analog readout (both are on the Recorder) or an external volt meter or scopemeter of your choice. It hooks up to the Monitor via PORT A and PORT B.

This is a fuel pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge...it can be used for either. The data that this reads can be inputed to the Monitor or displayed on a volt meter or scopemeter of your choice.

In many cases the Monitor (and breakout boxes) can be a pain to install due to space issues. This relocates everything and makes the hook up of the Monitor a cake walk.

This is used to alert the driver that a trouble code has been logged into the EEC-IV. It hooks up to the test connector. When a code gets logged, it beeps. It is usefull on test drives + it also beeps on continuous memory codes...the ones that don't light up the CEL.

A TFI bench tester....fairly straight foreward what it does. Plug it in, push the button. If it does not find a fault, both LEDs light up. Not the greatest, becuase it does not catch the problems that cme and go and it does not give much info.

This is the best TFI ignition system diagnostic tool out there as far as I am aware. If hooks up in series with the TFI module and has a series of LEDs that tell you what is going on. I will also diagnose a no start condition. It has a little breakout box off to the side so that you can measure the signal going through any given wire associated with the system. It comes with a manual that tells you how to trouble shoot based on any given LED indicated fault.

This is a breakout box. Not quite as handy as the Monitor, but it does have it advantages. I like to use it in conjunction with a scope meter so that I can graph the data in relation to a given time frame. This is good because I can then catch things like a bad spot in a TPS (or any sensor for that matter) that any old volt meter or even the digital read out on the Monitor wont catch because it is not fast enough. A scope meter will catch ANYTHING. This is the OTC version. These allow you to probe any of the 60 pins that plug into the EEC-IV quickly and easily.

This is the Thexton breakout box. Different construction, but it does the same thing.

Last edited by eco; 11-05-2007 at 09:09 PM.
The following users liked this post: