View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 04:26 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
Fire

Why is blending a better option than BD?
Here's why blending is better for my circumstances than BD:

1. I do not consider myself a proficent mechanic/fabricator. I have no experience welding. I seldom have luck finding the scrap materials when I need them. I would have to likely pay full price for all of the materials to make a processor and then I would need to find someone and pay them to fabricate the unit. Easily a couple of thousand dollars. I have my WVO filtering station set up for only a couple of hundred including the stuff I use to collect the oil.

2. Although I have been fortunate to have a steady supply of oil, I do not consider my supply to be guarnanteed. I would hate to put the money into a processor and then have my oil supplies dry up. I'm then out the money and stuck with the processor I cannot use.

3. From what I know about it, making BD is a more precise task and easier to screw up. I like things simple, or as we say "Firefighter proof."

4. Getting the supplies, particularly the methanol, required for BD can be a hassle in my area. Last I knew, methanol was over $4/gal. And that's buying it 55 gallons at a time with an extra deposit tacked on for the drum. I have to think that unless you are buying methanol in greater quanities than 55 gal at a time your cost to make BD just in raw materials is at least $1.25 or more. I blend for about 80 cents a gallon and I don't have any glycerin I need to dispose of.

5. I have no desire to store or work with the lye and methanol, both which require careful handling and are very hazardous to your health.

With that said, if I had a processor fall out of the sky for my use I would give BD a try. If I did not find it to be a much greater pain than blending, I would probably stick with it due to it's proven reliablity.

In a nutshell, I feel blending requires less intial investment, fewer hazardous chemicals, is less expensive per gallon, less waste product to manage, and takes up less space.