View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 08:03 PM
48super6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool rusted brake lines

2000 Ex v10
Did anyone else have any problems with rusted out brake lines? My ex is in great shape and doesn't see much bad weather - it only has 35,000 miles. I was heading down a steep hill to a busy intersection the other day and I stepped on the brake, began to slow, but then my foot went to the floor. It continued to slow a bit (pumping didn't help) and I wound up taking a fast left into the intersection- luckily no one was comming. Certainly a white knuckle experience. I nursed it back home and found rusted brake lines, leaking about midway along the frame. (everything else under there is pretty clean - no rust)
I spoke to 2 different mechanics who said it wasn't that unusual for Ford trucks because of the way they mount the the lines- although many never have the problem at all.
Any one else experience this? Is it worth replacing the lines with stainless ones? I also thought since I'll be replacing the lines, I'd look into replacing the hoses and flushing out the whole system. Has anyone replaced the rubber hoses with stainless steel wraped ones? Does it reduce any of the spongy-ness of the stock system? Is it worth it? Any sources?
Any thoughts on the subject(s) would be appreciated.