Thread: V10 vs. 460
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 02:08 PM
ATXZJ
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Destroya
just to add, "beefing" a 460 can be a bear in emissions compliant trucks. not much you can do that is legal in a state that has inpections. Even if you did, say you upgraded an intake (who sells an aftermarket 460 efi intake? I've never seen one.) injectors, fuel pump and everything else, to you disappointment, most if not all 460's utilize the EEC Speed density setup which in turn makes your performance parts junk, as it will perform to the computer's programmed limitations and not let the installed performance parts "perform".
Not neccessaraly

I agree that the late model EFI 460s were challenged. However, the speed density system did not effect performance with simple bolt-ons (air filters, headers, ETC). I built/raced a speed density 5.0 EFI mustang in the early 90s that ran high 11s naturally aspirated with a stock camshaft and injectors. SD relied on engine vacuum to determine A/F ratio and was not effected until larger camshafts were installed thus reducing engine vacuum. Ford programmed the EEC IV to run extremely lean in the EFI 460. EFI 460s had an issue with cracked exhaust manifolds because of this. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator was a quick fix or you could also step up to a mass air conversion. I worked on quite a few of them in the 90s and the biggest improvement you could make, was installing an adjustable timing chain. The camshaft timing was purposely retarded from the factory and SVO (now FRPP) actually offerd a kit to advance it. They wouldn't even turn the tires beforehand, but after the timing chain, it actually had some guts.

There is no comparison between a 95' 460 and an 01-07' V10. The V10 is more effiecent and has a much wider powerband. A 99 V10 is pretty close stock VS stock, to a 460. Ask me how I know

Marcus

The following users liked this post: