Old 03-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Murphy2000
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FN74
Hope I am not coming off as arrogant, I just don't like unimformed blanket statements that have no supporting facts to back up the arguments. And deffinately don't get me wrong on Bio, I am all for Biodiesel. I see it as a 50/50 shot based on one's personal situation.
I don't think you're coming off as arrogant at all. I know I do sometimes.. I'm not arrogant but I know I can come across that way.. (typing is so much different than verbal communication)

I'm enjoying this an am learning something.

I still would never run straight oil in my engine but the information you are posting is interesting to say the least.

The next million miles should tell a better story.

Methanol is a petroleum product.. The idea behind biodiesel is to get away from petroleum. Using straight veg oil as a fuel would be a great solution but I am still not convinced a modern common rail engine can take it.

Also, you made a comment about lye in biodiesel. Lye is not a problem in home-brew biodiesel production. It is very easy to remove and I have never seen a GC report indicating left over catalyst.

When talking about biodiesel quality issues, its not lye, its glycerine that is the big issue. Glycerine can not burn correctly in a diesel engine. The most common definition of bad biodiesel is a high glycerine level. This issue has been researched and tested over and over again. Glycerine in the problem and this is why I would never burn pure veg oil in my engine.