View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good morning Juan! Using a $5 bag filter for removing the Magnesol is a lot cheaper than a $1,000 Hydrocyclone! I use a different system for removing the solids from the oil than a HC also because of cost mainly.

The 2 commercial plants I've designed so far use the HCs mainly to remove the glycerol faster because there doing 500 gallons per hour instead of 100 gallons per hour. The oil that goes into these plants has no particles in it to separate out, so they are not needed.

I don't use a hydro-cyclone for my system because I am using waste restaurant oil as a feed stock, and they are VERY sensitive to the in-feed. I found out the hard way that what my friend Dr VonGerpin told me about using them on WVO was problematic, Just to sensitive............

I use a 5 micron bag filter to remove the Magnesol, and then a 1 micron final filter. I very seldom find anything in the 1 micron filter, I just use it to make me feel better!

I don't think a HC would work with a waterwash system. I think the potential for forming an emulsion would be to great...........

Last edited by fabmandelux; 02-23-2007 at 09:07 AM.