Old 02-16-2007, 01:55 PM
cybercrone
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 F-150, bypass ignition switch to start engine

Hello, folks....
The ignition key in my F-150 is extremely hard to turn and I waited to do anything about it until now it won't start engine at all. The last mechanic who fixed this said that this happens because a lot of dirt accumulates and the rod that connects the key lock to the ignition switch gets jammed--I may have the details slightly wrong but that's the essence of it --it's dirt.

I have to pay $85 to have my truck towed to mechanic, and then there is their minimum fee, and so on, so I thought I'd open up the steering post and clean it out myself. Unfortunately, I discovered that my Chilton's Repair Manual is TERRIBLE--I couldn't make any sense of their directions, which were extremely minimal and poorly illustrated and it looked VERY complicated.

So I guess I have to take it to mechanic but at least I'd like to get out of the $85 tow charge, so I want to know how to bypass the ignition key to start the truck, then at least I can drive it up there.

I would appreciate detailed directions (or URL of a site that has such directions). I am imagining I have to jump something on or to the starter?

CyberCrone