View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 04:04 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Increasing Costs and claims will just keep insurance premiums to rise (where do you draw the line?)

My insurance I believe is just under $200 per family, but because It's a Mayo Clinic Employee Rate. Coverage is great, but the catch is getting a Mayo Provider to provide care. Coverage gets more expensive for each claim under a "non-Mayo Provider". So if I get sick up here great, somewhere else kind of expensive"

The sad thing is, you can't afford NOT to have insurance. Yeah, It stinks paying over $300 a month and really sucks when you hardly have any claims over the years, but if you figure numbers, it only takes one major surgery or lengthly hospitalization to rack up Outragous Costs. Take this for example: If it takes $1000/day for a hospital room = $7000 for a 7 day stay which can be an average stay in the hospital for many surgical procedures. That is only the cost of the room, NOTHING ELSE. Right there is almost two years worth of Premiums at $300/month. Lets say you have paid 10 years at $300/month thats $3600/year, $36000 for 10 years. $36000 isn't much.

What it boils down too, you just can't Afford NOT to have insurance. It only takes one time. I wouldn't be so concerned about the premiums as relation to what your coverage is. Like what is your deductible and what percentage is covered. For a $100,000 bill, if your insurance covers 80% and you cover 20% than you owe $20,000. That sounds like a lot of money and it is, but having a $100,000 (which can be on the low end, happens everyday),but it's better than having to pay the full 100K. Or worse, the risk of not being able to get the care because of having no insurance.

It is one of those frustrating things about American Health Care and Insurance Premium's are a major reason why many people don't have insurance. Over $300 a month is quite a bit. It's less than a new Truck Payment, but is high enough for many people to not be able to afford it. At minimum wage, takes alot to afford that kind of premium.