View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 10:51 AM
TNT4.0
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you .

Originally Posted by CobraXP
No, you can use any 96-01 5.0 Explorer. The reason most look for an Explorer as a donor is because of the similarities between the Ranger and the Explorer. It just makes for an easier swap. Any of those years will work though.

Yes, you can use a Crown Vic, etc, but they would be 4.6 V8's (which won't fit in a Ranger easily) unless you go to an OBDI setup (pre-96). The Explorer was the only vehicle to come with the 5.0 after '95 - all the others went to 4.6's. I would recommend staying with the 5.0 and using an Explorer as a donor. The 4.6 requires A LOT of custom fabricating.

No, you will need to use a PCM that is for the 5.0. Again, the Explorer is the only vehicle you will find (from Ford) that has the 5.0 and OBDII setups.

No you can't. Also, the Explorer 5.0 PCM will only accept an auto tranny in stock setup. You can put a 5 speed in it, but you would have to use an SCT XCal2 tuner (or one comparable) to eliminate the auto settings.

You will have to change motor mounts. That is about the easiest part of the swap...

I am going to move your post to the Ranger forum as there are many users there that have done a 5.0 conversion. They can give you a lot more detail information than in the Explorer forum...

THank you very much for the information. I tried to look for a Ranger forum but I didn't have any luck. Thank you for the help in moving it. Take care.