Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 PM
New User

TNT4.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
5.0 Ranger Conversion

Hi everyone,

I'm doing some research on doing a 5.0 conversion on my 4.0 Ranger. Basically, I just want some opinions as far as the work I will have to under-take. Please see my list of questions and help me to answer them to the best of your knowledge. As you read the questions, you might think they are stupid questions. I appreciate your answers and opinions anyway for I have never done this conversion on a Ranger. Thank you in advance.

• My Ranger is a 99. Does that mean I have to put in a 99 5.0 motor in it? Or can it be 99 and newer?
  • I've been told that if I find a 99 Explorer with a 5.0, it will be a perfect doner car with all of the excessories provided. Is there another ford similar with the 5.0? (ie. F-150...)
  • Can I use my PCU or do I have to use the PCU out of the 5.0 doner car?
  • More than likely, I will be converting from an Auto tranny to a 5 speed; but in case I don't do that conversion, will my 4.0 liter, auto tranny bolt up to the 5.0?
  • Can I use the 4.0 liter motor mounts or do I have to use the 5.0 Liter motor mounts?
I'm sure more questions will arise from me, but for now; I thank you for your input. Take care

-TNT
Old 01-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Postmaster

mrshorty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm not real familiar with the '99's, but here are the answers I know:

Quote:
I've been told that if I find a 99 Explorer with a 5.0, it will be a perfect doner car with all of the excessories provided. Is there another ford similar with the 5.0? (ie. F-150...)
The 5.0 was used in many applications, but I don't know how well those applications will swap into an RBV. Unless you get something concrete from someone, I'd stay with an RBV donor. The 5.0 was used in Explorers from '96 to '01.
Quote:
Can I use my PCU or do I have to use the PCU out of the 5.0 doner car?
You'll need the PCU from the donor vehicle.
Quote:
More than likely, I will be converting from an Auto tranny to a 5 speed; but in case I don't do that conversion, will my 4.0 liter, auto tranny bolt up to the 5.0?
No. Also note that, in Explorers, the 5.0 versions came as AWD versions (maybe some 2WD versions). You don't say if your Ranger is 2WD or 4WD. If 4WD and you want to keep the locking transfer case with a low range, you'll need to figure out what t-case will bolt up to a 5.0 transmission and still fit within your Ranger's frame rails.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:51 PM
New User

Thank you for your input

Hi there,

WoW! Thank you so much for your information. I will take this into consideration and proceed.

-TNT
Old 01-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Postmaster

CobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT4.0
Hi everyone,

I'm doing some research on doing a 5.0 conversion on my 4.0 Ranger. Basically, I just want some opinions as far as the work I will have to under-take. Please see my list of questions and help me to answer them to the best of your knowledge. As you read the questions, you might think they are stupid questions. I appreciate your answers and opinions anyway for I have never done this conversion on a Ranger. Thank you in advance.

My Ranger is a 99. Does that mean I have to put in a 99 5.0 motor in it? Or can it be 99 and newer?

No, you can use any 96-01 5.0 Explorer. The reason most look for an Explorer as a donor is because of the similarities between the Ranger and the Explorer. It just makes for an easier swap. Any of those years will work though.

Quote:
I've been told that if I find a 99 Explorer with a 5.0, it will be a perfect doner car with all of the excessories provided. Is there another ford similar with the 5.0? (ie. F-150...)

Yes, you can use a Crown Vic, etc, but they would be 4.6 V8's (which won't fit in a Ranger easily) unless you go to an OBDI setup (pre-96). The Explorer was the only vehicle to come with the 5.0 after '95 - all the others went to 4.6's. I would recommend staying with the 5.0 and using an Explorer as a donor. The 4.6 requires A LOT of custom fabricating.

Quote:
Can I use my PCU or do I have to use the PCU out of the 5.0 doner car?

No, you will need to use a PCM that is for the 5.0. Again, the Explorer is the only vehicle you will find (from Ford) that has the 5.0 and OBDII setups.

Quote:
More than likely, I will be converting from an Auto tranny to a 5 speed; but in case I don't do that conversion, will my 4.0 liter, auto tranny bolt up to the 5.0?

No you can't. Also, the Explorer 5.0 PCM will only accept an auto tranny in stock setup. You can put a 5 speed in it, but you would have to use an SCT XCal2 tuner (or one comparable) to eliminate the auto settings.

Quote:
Can I use the 4.0 liter motor mounts or do I have to use the 5.0 Liter motor mounts?

You will have to change motor mounts. That is about the easiest part of the swap...

I am going to move your post to the Ranger forum as there are many users there that have done a 5.0 conversion. They can give you a lot more detail information than in the Explorer forum...

When you can't buy what you want, build what you want.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Senior User

87ford4x4inline6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
check your other post in the ranger forum. I answered it. Also just for info any 5.0/302 will work. I have a 1980 in my 87.
84 ranger 2wd 2.8, 5 speed
Missouri Chapter Member
My Site
http://www.shockersgarage.com
Old 01-25-2007, 10:51 AM
New User

Thank you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraXP
No, you can use any 96-01 5.0 Explorer. The reason most look for an Explorer as a donor is because of the similarities between the Ranger and the Explorer. It just makes for an easier swap. Any of those years will work though.

Yes, you can use a Crown Vic, etc, but they would be 4.6 V8's (which won't fit in a Ranger easily) unless you go to an OBDI setup (pre-96). The Explorer was the only vehicle to come with the 5.0 after '95 - all the others went to 4.6's. I would recommend staying with the 5.0 and using an Explorer as a donor. The 4.6 requires A LOT of custom fabricating.

No, you will need to use a PCM that is for the 5.0. Again, the Explorer is the only vehicle you will find (from Ford) that has the 5.0 and OBDII setups.

No you can't. Also, the Explorer 5.0 PCM will only accept an auto tranny in stock setup. You can put a 5 speed in it, but you would have to use an SCT XCal2 tuner (or one comparable) to eliminate the auto settings.

You will have to change motor mounts. That is about the easiest part of the swap...

I am going to move your post to the Ranger forum as there are many users there that have done a 5.0 conversion. They can give you a lot more detail information than in the Explorer forum...

THank you very much for the information. I tried to look for a Ranger forum but I didn't have any luck. Thank you for the help in moving it. Take care.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:51 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
302, 46, 50, 99, conversion, doner, explorer, liter, motor, mounts, needed, put, ranger, speed, speedin, transmission