View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 08:31 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TNT4.0
Hi everyone,

I'm doing some research on doing a 5.0 conversion on my 4.0 Ranger. Basically, I just want some opinions as far as the work I will have to under-take. Please see my list of questions and help me to answer them to the best of your knowledge. As you read the questions, you might think they are stupid questions. I appreciate your answers and opinions anyway for I have never done this conversion on a Ranger. Thank you in advance.

My Ranger is a 99. Does that mean I have to put in a 99 5.0 motor in it? Or can it be 99 and newer?

No, you can use any 96-01 5.0 Explorer. The reason most look for an Explorer as a donor is because of the similarities between the Ranger and the Explorer. It just makes for an easier swap. Any of those years will work though.

I've been told that if I find a 99 Explorer with a 5.0, it will be a perfect doner car with all of the excessories provided. Is there another ford similar with the 5.0? (ie. F-150...)

Yes, you can use a Crown Vic, etc, but they would be 4.6 V8's (which won't fit in a Ranger easily) unless you go to an OBDI setup (pre-96). The Explorer was the only vehicle to come with the 5.0 after '95 - all the others went to 4.6's. I would recommend staying with the 5.0 and using an Explorer as a donor. The 4.6 requires A LOT of custom fabricating.

Can I use my PCU or do I have to use the PCU out of the 5.0 doner car?

No, you will need to use a PCM that is for the 5.0. Again, the Explorer is the only vehicle you will find (from Ford) that has the 5.0 and OBDII setups.

More than likely, I will be converting from an Auto tranny to a 5 speed; but in case I don't do that conversion, will my 4.0 liter, auto tranny bolt up to the 5.0?

No you can't. Also, the Explorer 5.0 PCM will only accept an auto tranny in stock setup. You can put a 5 speed in it, but you would have to use an SCT XCal2 tuner (or one comparable) to eliminate the auto settings.

Can I use the 4.0 liter motor mounts or do I have to use the 5.0 Liter motor mounts?

You will have to change motor mounts. That is about the easiest part of the swap...

I am going to move your post to the Ranger forum as there are many users there that have done a 5.0 conversion. They can give you a lot more detail information than in the Explorer forum...