Thread: Fuel Gelling
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Leader
If most of your fuel is less then 2 Mo's old, you have winter fuel & don't need to worry about it. As stated, if it does gel up, just wait till temps get back above 0 and you'll be fine.
Just filled up today here in Kansas City at the local Quick-Trip truck stop. They operate at least 4 truck-stops that I know of and at least have 6 - 8 diesel lanes (so they are high volume and know their stuff).

More to the point.... their diesel is NOT winterized. They buy good ol' #2D and only add additves to the tank when the temps start getting around 0F and below for extended periods of time. They no longer have a "winterized fuel lane" and do not pay for "all winterized".

For the record.. this was from the Quick-Trip truck stop in Platte City, MO and she confirmed that all of them here in KC operatew the same way.

So.... the assumption that all fuel as of mid-October or so is winterized... is just foolish, is an assumption and can cause problems for some... hence the reason some of add anti-gel to every tank so we do not have to worry about it... or if the right amount of additives was put in by the station.

I love a good post where people post "assumptions as a fact" that can be so easily rebuked and proven wrong... so I guess it is not how many miles you drive or what states you drive in (as you posted in one of your posts above)... but doing some research, asking questions and just using good ol' common sense.

Not trying to flame you in any way or call you out... but you were the one that called me out by posting all the states you drive in and that even the "warm weather states" use winterized fuel.