View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 04:04 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 51F1 had has the 226, it had been sitting for 17 years prior to my purchase the 226 was not froze up when I purchased it. The PO had started converting it to 12V and gave up 1/2 way through. The engine had no compression due to the valves being stuck open, I poured in Marvel Mistery Oil and left it sit for a week. I then added more, after the second week I was able to get it started. I really ran rough but I managed to drive the truck 28 miles home. That was 3 years ago and the 226 is still running good for not having been apart sense 1971. The only problem I see with them is if you plan to venture out on any long trips and you have a breakdown you could be sitting for awhile trying to find parts. Especially if you loose the gear that turns the distributor/oil pump off the cam, they can be real tough to find. The early 7HA and the later OHA model are both different, also the cams are different (from what I understand). There was a guy in Europe here awhile back trying to track one down, he did finally find one. The V8 Flathead is the one I tend to lean more toward because of the availability of parts is so much better. But if you really want whichever Flathead you choose to rock put an S-10 5 speed trans behind it, it's a perfect match. JMO

Last edited by 51ford fan; 11-28-2006 at 04:07 PM.