View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 02:25 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Cylinder Head Removal - Right-Side (Driver-Side)

phatbulldog, here's what the book states:

There are seven diagrams that accompany these instructions. I’m sorry I’m unable to recreate them for you. I borrowed my book from the local library. If, after reading these instructions, you are not 100% sure about any of this, STOP what you’re doing.

These instructions are from the Chilton’s Ford Pick-Ups/Expedition/Navigator 1997-00 Repair Manual, Chapter 3, Pages 35 – 36.<O</O
1. Disconnect both negative battery cables.
2. Drain the cooling system.
3. Remove the radiator.
4. Remove the turbocharger assembly.
5. Disconnect the fuel lines by disconnecting them from the rear of both cylinder heads and the fuel pump.
6. Label and disconnect the wiring from the alternator.
7. Remove the adjusting bolts and pivot bolts from the alternator and the vacuum pump and remove both units.
8. Remove the alternator and its bracket.
9. Remove the engine oil dipstick lube.
10. Remove the MAP sensor and position it aside.
11. Remove the valve cover.
12. Remove the connectors from the injectors and glow plugs.
13. Remove the valve cover gasket.
14. Remove the high pressure oil pump supply line to the right cylinder head.
15. Remove the exhaust back pressure line.
16. Remove the three glow plug relay bracket nuts and the ground wire.
17. Disconnect the heater hose from the cylinder head.
18. Remove the outer half of the heater distribution box.
19. Remove the four outboard fuel injector hold-down bolts, retaining screws, and four oil deflectors.
<O</O
WARNING
Remove the oil drain plugs prior to removing the injectors or oil could enter the combustion chamber which could result in hydrostatic lock and severe engine damage.<O</O

20. Remove the oil rail drain plugs.
21. Remove the fuel injectors using Injector Remover No. T94T-9000-AH1, or equivalent. Position the tool’s fulcrum beneath the fuel injector hold-down plate and over the edge of the cylinder head. Install the remover screw in the threaded hole of the fuel injector plate (see illustration). Tighten the screw to lift out the injector from its bore. Place the injector in a suitable protective sleeve such as Rotunda Injector Protective Sleeve, No. 014-00933-2, and set the injector in a suitable holding rack.
22.Use a suitable vacuum tool, such as Rotunda Vacuum Pump, No. 021-00037, or equivalent to remove the oil and fuel left over in the injector bores.
23. Remove the rocker arms and pushrods, KEEP EVERYTHING IN ORDER.
24. Remove the four glow plugs.
25. Remove the right turbo exhaust inlet pipe.
26. Remove the ground strap from the rear of the cylinder head.
27. Disconnect the fuel return line at the front of the cylinder head.
28. Remove the four inboard fuel injector shoulder bolts.
29. Remove the cylinder head bolts and attach a Rotunda Cylinder Head Lifting Bracket, 014-00932-2, or equivalent.
30. Carefully lift the cylinder head out of the engine compartment and remove the head gaskets.<O</O