Thread: Ethanol
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 12:58 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eigenvector
And I have absolutely ZERO idea why I can't buy it in Seattle. You'd think ultra-liberal Seattle and King County would be falling all over themselves for alternative fuels - if only to **** off the Bushies.
Actually, they tried an alternative fuel (CNG and/or LNG) and it didn't work out too well. Several buses (U-district routes, in particular) were using it, and the conclusion at that time (several years ago, before the big jump in price) was that when everything was added together it was significantly more expensive than diesel, and with the arrival of some of the very clean burning diesel engines, the environmental advantage wasn't that much either.

As for E85, transportation should be one big issue, tax is probably the other one. I'm almost certain that the govt is losing money on E85, and with no corn growers' lobby or major ethanol plant nearby, there's not much reason to have it here. Pissing up someone just for the sake of it is often silly, especially when *you* have to pay for it. And BTW, WA doesn't have income tax, and I consider that quite conservative financially. (and good ) Lastly, they have their hands full with other things, so they could care less about Seattle having E85 or not.

Last edited by aurgathor; 10-26-2006 at 01:20 PM.