View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 09:35 AM
dbtx
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Cured my wandering steering

I have an `05 V10 4x4 Limited that we bought with 16k miles on it and really began to be annoyed by the steering within a week of getting it. My first step was to install the Hellwig rear sway bar, and though it made a very noticeable difference to both my wife and I, it wasn't a cure.

I'd been putting off adjusting the steering box until yesterday, and that finally did the trick. Thanks to the instructions I found on this board I spent about 45 minutes adjusting and test driving to make sure I hadn't tightened too much, and after about a turn and a half of the allen screw, the steering is nice and taught with no slop in the wheel. Previously I could jiggle the wheel nearly an inch either way while driving down the highway and not affect the vehicle's path. Now the steering feels directly connected and responsive!

I towed our travel trailer back from storage right after the adjustment, and wow, like no more white knuckles!

BTW, even though I'm 6'2" I had to stand on a step ladder to be able to reach down in from the top to get to the steering box. This Ex is one big truck!