View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Futuresweets-10
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=457773184300286737&q=biodiesel

Useing a water heater tank won't their be problems with getting the by product with the diesel? Since the bottom is flat and all.
I started studying the bioD thing over two years ago. A year ago January, I bought Maria Alovert's book(let) that covers the specifics on making bioD. I had planned on building an Appleseed Converter and trying this stuff out. Well, life happens, and I finally got started on the the sucker last Easter weekend. Got it finished last week, and started my first batch last night. (I used the famous Fabman BioD Recipe.) I heated my oil for several hours, and then added the methoxide mixture. I use a reinforced nylon hose for my pump outlet to the top of the tank, so I can obsereve the reaction. Since I was using brand new oil for my first batch, the oil was pretty clear. When the methoxide hit the pump, the mixture turned foamy white. I kept the heating element on (the thermostat is set for 130 degrees), and let the pump run for two hours. Shut it down last night before going to bed. This morning, I went out and drained off the glycerin. First try, before church, I drained off just over 3 gallons of dark, tea-colored liquid. (still kinda warm) Now I'm headed back out there to crack the drain and see if any more dark stuff comes out, or if it's all clear. I plan to wash this batch twice and check the result. Fabman is one of many successful bioD producers that choose not to wash their bioD. I figure I'll try one batch as washed, and one batch as non-washed and see how things look.

As far as not getting ALL the glycerin out is concerned, the washing takes care of that. How effective my heater is at draining from the bottom will probably be the deciding factor in whether or not I continue to wash my fuel.

Last edited by Dave Barbieri; 06-04-2006 at 02:12 PM.