View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Ford RV'er
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy Trailers Need "A" Licence

I'm a newbie to this forum and look forward to learning and contributing.
I live in London ON and drive a F 250 PSD pulling a 5th wheel trailer with a GVWR of 13,400 lbs. After buying the trailer I was surprised to learn (the dealer didn't tell me) that I would require an "A" type drivers licence to be legal. The law states that if your loaded weight over the wheels is more than 10,120 lbs, you require an "A" licence. The MTO fellow I was talking to said that " It's not so much the fines we'll hit you with($250-$500) it's the fact that if you are involved in an accident and you don't have the correct class of licence....NOW NOTE THIS.......YOUR INSURANCE IS INVALID! I confirmed this with my insurance company.

My reason for posting this is to remind everyone pulling a trailer to check the weight over the wheels. The last thing you want in an accident is to learn after the fact that your insurance is null and void because you don't have the correct drivers licence. This applies to all drivers, not just commmercial that a lot of people believe. Please check it out for yourself.