View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 11:05 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
ou
Originally Posted by averagef250
I've seen many, many 14 bolt housing broken in half right through the pinion support and several broken axle shafts and believe it or not 2 bent 14 bolt spindles. I have lots of chevy friends and they're all running 70's under thier full size trucks after scattering 14 bolts. A 14 bolt is not up there with a 70 or sterling. Lift a 14 bolt then try lifting a 70. It's pretty obvious which axle has the most meat to it. Also, the removeable pinion support DOES NOT make for a stronger housing, it makes for a weaker one that's easier to set up. Chevy even used the Dana 70 in thier heavier dually trucks instead of the 14 bolt.

Thought it was pretty clear we were talking about rear axles here, but thanks for clearing that up. Yes, chevy did use many 60 front axles in thier trucks.
\
what does weight have to do with anything? weight doesnt mean strength, besides i have hauled aorund 60's, 70's, 80's sterlings and 14 bolts....the 70, the sterling and the 14 bolt are all within a few pounds of each other. 70 spindles and 14 bolt spindles are nearly identical. they use the same wheel bearings
you nuts if you think a 14 bolt isnt in the same class....im done..

yes you should have a 16 spline axle dana 60 in the rear of that truck