Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Junior User

AFSOCmech is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dana 60 differences?

Other than things such as distance between spring perches, what differences are there between Dana 60s for different manufacturers trucks? I have a rear axle from a late 70's (I think) Chevy truck and I'm trying to decide on keeping it or selling/trading it. Any input would be helpful.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Elder User

averagef250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chevy didn't use many dana 60's and they definitely didn't use any dana 60's in the late 70's. Chevy used a few dana 60's under thier 72 and older leaf sprung trucks, but most had the eaton axles and they used Dana 70's under thier dually trucks through the 90's. Are you sure you don't have a 14 bolt? The 14 bolt is an OK axle. They are dirt cheap and better than a stock dana 60. The 14 bolts have a big ring and pinion, but pretty sad 30 spline axleshafts and the housings are very weak mainly because of the removeable pinion support housing. The best thing a 14 bolt has going for it is it's the cheapest axle to put a detroit locker in because the detroits are alot simpler and fit in place of the spider gears. Talk someone into trading for a ford 70B or sterling axle and you'd have something good for your truck.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Junior User

AFSOCmech is starting off with a positive reputation.
I cleaned the grease off the housing and looked for the casting and it's definitely a D60. I got it second hand so the history may be a little off. I most likely am not going to use it in my truck and will probably just sell or trade. I'll take another look though and see what else I can find for identification information though.
Thanks for the info and opinion though.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Postmaster

KubotaOrange76 has a very good reputation on FTE.KubotaOrange76 has a very good reputation on FTE.KubotaOrange76 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagef250
Chevy didn't use many dana 60's and they definitely didn't use any dana 60's in the late 70's. Chevy used a few dana 60's under thier 72 and older leaf sprung trucks, but most had the eaton axles and they used Dana 70's under thier dually trucks through the 90's. Are you sure you don't have a 14 bolt? The 14 bolt is an OK axle. They are dirt cheap and better than a stock dana 60. The 14 bolts have a big ring and pinion, but pretty sad 30 spline axleshafts and the housings are very weak mainly because of the removeable pinion support housing. The best thing a 14 bolt has going for it is it's the cheapest axle to put a detroit locker in because the detroits are alot simpler and fit in place of the spider gears. Talk someone into trading for a ford 70B or sterling axle and you'd have something good for your truck.
the 30 spline shafts are 1.5" just like the 35 pline dana shafts...they just have different spline profiles

the 14 bolt is a very stout 1 ton axle right there with the dana 70 and sterling 10.25.

the housings are very STRONG because of the removable pinion support. just like a ford 9" design.

i dont know where you get your info???? if chevy didnt use many 60's, what is the axle that came in the front of their 1 tons??
Old 05-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Elder User

averagef250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've seen many, many 14 bolt housing broken in half right through the pinion support and several broken axle shafts and believe it or not 2 bent 14 bolt spindles. I have lots of chevy friends and they're all running 70's under thier full size trucks after scattering 14 bolts. A 14 bolt is not up there with a 70 or sterling. Lift a 14 bolt then try lifting a 70. It's pretty obvious which axle has the most meat to it. Also, the removeable pinion support DOES NOT make for a stronger housing, it makes for a weaker one that's easier to set up. Chevy even used the Dana 70 in thier heavier dually trucks instead of the 14 bolt.

Thought it was pretty clear we were talking about rear axles here, but thanks for clearing that up. Yes, chevy did use many 60 front axles in thier trucks.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Elder User

brider is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good discussion, questions myself:

You guys seem to know your Dana 60's, please educate me:

What are you referring to when you say "14 bolt"? Are you talking ring gear pattern?

I'm trying to find a locker for my '66 F250 Dana 60, and I have seen pictures of lockers that would supposedly fit, but (1) had a 8-bolt ring carrier pattern, the other had a 12-bolt. Does anybody know what kind of pattern my year/model truck might have? It's a '66 F250 with a open carrier, 7500 GVWR.

Also, I've been told it probably is a 16-spline. Can anybody confirm that?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Postmaster

KubotaOrange76 has a very good reputation on FTE.KubotaOrange76 has a very good reputation on FTE.KubotaOrange76 has a very good reputation on FTE.
ou
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagef250
I've seen many, many 14 bolt housing broken in half right through the pinion support and several broken axle shafts and believe it or not 2 bent 14 bolt spindles. I have lots of chevy friends and they're all running 70's under thier full size trucks after scattering 14 bolts. A 14 bolt is not up there with a 70 or sterling. Lift a 14 bolt then try lifting a 70. It's pretty obvious which axle has the most meat to it. Also, the removeable pinion support DOES NOT make for a stronger housing, it makes for a weaker one that's easier to set up. Chevy even used the Dana 70 in thier heavier dually trucks instead of the 14 bolt.

Thought it was pretty clear we were talking about rear axles here, but thanks for clearing that up. Yes, chevy did use many 60 front axles in thier trucks.
\
what does weight have to do with anything? weight doesnt mean strength, besides i have hauled aorund 60's, 70's, 80's sterlings and 14 bolts....the 70, the sterling and the 14 bolt are all within a few pounds of each other. 70 spindles and 14 bolt spindles are nearly identical. they use the same wheel bearings
you nuts if you think a 14 bolt isnt in the same class....im done..

yes you should have a 16 spline axle dana 60 in the rear of that truck
Old 05-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Elder User

Thanks for that confirmation on spline count. Now, what is the 14-bolt thing talking about?

Do you know what Ford used in those years for a ring-gear bolt pattern? I mean, how many bolts?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Post Fiend

mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.
A Dana 60 has 12 bolts that hold the ring gear on.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Elder User

Yes!! Thank you!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:07 PM