View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 09:22 PM
95X15
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing mark is machined into the crankshaft b pulley about 1/16" wide and runs from front to rear of pulley surface; it is not otherwise marked. the timing scale is located on the passenger side and is visible by looking down past the alternator to the lower part of the front cover; the scale is marked with 0 in middle and goes up and down about 10 to 20 degrees both ways one direction is marked advance Before TDC and the other is marked. Sorry had to get Haynes manual which says V8 scale is engraved into the pulley and mark is stationary; I6 is a notch on pulley and scale is on the cover. I6 scale is marked 0 for TDC, goes 14 degrees BTDC and only 6 STDC; V8 scale goes to 30 degrees BTDC and only 10 degtrees ATDC.
Timing should be 10 degrees BTDC.
I usually get under and mark the scale where I want the timing set with a yellow crayon after cleaning the area to be sure I have the right mark then locate the timing mark/scale on the pulley and mark 10 Degrees BTDC on the scale with the crayon so both are visible when running. The I6 mark is a notch in the edge of the pulley so it has to be filled with crayon so it is visible while moving. Be sure to remove SPOUT jumper GREy plug with two wires at ignition module harness should be Pink wire in and out of SPOUT jumper.
Haynes has diagrams in manual but I couldn't find one in ford manuals.
Hope this helps - if necessary post back with your engine type so can be clearer and more specific.