View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 05:39 PM
whowey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry,I didn't explain things better, and I kinda rambled into techspeak

SVO is Straight Vegtable Oil
NOX is Nitrous Oxide(the pollutant, not the dental gas or fuel additive)
Dino is plain old ordinary pump diesel. Crude oil is basically decomposed plant and animal matter.

There isn't a conversion needed to run a regular diesel on a Bio mix. You are starting to see mixes of B2-B5 appear at pumps in the farming regions now. You can pump it right into the tank like nothing is different. When I type B2, that refers to the percentage of Bio to diesel. So B2 is 2% Bio/98% Dino.

If you use a new vehicle in your switch, you will never notice a difference. But if you use a vehicle with some milage on it, you will probably have to do a few fuel filter changes at the beginning. Biodiesel is slightly more solvent than straight dino, and it will break down the deposits in the fuel system.

The GreaseCar kit, is the style of what many people use for the 'resturant grease' fuel idea.

It invovles a second fuel tank, with a heat exchanger in it. The vehicle starts on regular diesel, and when the second tank reaches about 170 degrees, you flip a selenoid switch and start pumping the Vegtable Oil straight into the motor. When you go to shut the system down, if you don't switch back over to the Dino diesel and let it run long enough to get the injector pump and injectors full of dino, the Vegtable oil will cool, and can get too thick for the pump to handle. This may not be a problem in all climates, but I live in the Upper Midwest, so it is a real concern here. A side note, this system works with indirect injection motors, so far I haven't heard of anyone getting it to work satisfactorily on a direct injection motor, like those currently used by Ford. VW still uses the IDI motors, and are probably the favorite of convertors. The setup I installed was on a new Bug.