View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Delzell -

If your new inner fenders have slots (or large holes) where they attach to the outer fender, you can mock everything up without the outer fenders. Your hood should also be part of the mock up so you know you have a good fit at the cowl.

The CRITICAL part is that everything is square to the cab, beginning with the radiator support. It must be parallel to the firewall and centered on the cab. The whole front sheet metal is supported by and attaches to it.

Personally, having had the front of mine apart a few times, I would hang everything together and jockey all for the perfect fit and gaps, especially between the hood/fenders and the hood/cab. You'll be surprised how long that can take. Then drill some 1/8 dia holes between mating parts (inner/outer fenders; inner fender/cab angle; inner fender/air dams; air dams/radiator support) so that after you disassemble and reassemble, everything comes back exactly to that perfect fit. I learned that little trick here, and it will be especially valuable after all the parts are painted and you want to avoid scratches.