Thread: Rust Removal!
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 04:15 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord AnthraX
What would you suggest to atleast remove a little rust from the underbody of a '94 Bronco EB. I've been getting more and more concerned the more I look at it and realize how bad it might be/get. (I was thinking wire wheelin' it but that might take just a bit too much time)
If you have an air compressor, pick up a $13 sandblaster from home depot, a new bucket, or reuse a clean bucket, and dump in bone-dry play sand. That's what I did. Sandblasted the frame to where all the flakey stuff was gone, leaving some surface rust behind, then using a paintbrush I slathered on a product called "ospho" I got in ace hardware. It's one of many products that combines with rust (iron oxide) and converts it to a really tough, hard surface (iron phosphate) which you can recoat with ospho, or prime/paint to any color that you wish.

I put on three coats of ospho, and didn't bother priming and painting.

A wire wheel takes too much time. But what does go fast is a 8" long, 3" wide wire brush, and a paint scraper. Between the two you can remove all the flakey stuff then slather with the ospho or equivilent product.