Thread: Dollar Day
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 10:55 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Dollar Day

While Harry's U-Pull-It out in PA hasn't announced it yet, every June they have a "dollar day extravaganza" at either their pennsburg or their hazeltown PA locations.

Essentially, they charge you a $20 cover to walk in, and every part is a dollar. So while they go out of their way to nickel and dime you, a pair of leather power seats from a town car would be $4 each. $1 for the seat, $1 for the tracks, $1 for the switches, and $1 for the power seat motor. Still, not a bad deal.

If you get there early enough, you'll actually find cars with parts on them By the end of the day, all you see are shells. This is how they clear out their yards, I think.

Anyway, I go every year with a long list of stuff I want for my projects, then I walk around and find stuff to sell on e-bay, or neat stuff I want to take home and dissect to see how it works then sell on ebay

While their truck collections are not as large as the car sections, if you need anything at all, its a fun time for all. Last year they even had bikini girls in workboots shooting customers with water pistols while you work. They were pretty skanky but the water felt good anyway considering how hot it was.

So, if anyone wants to make a trip out of this, I'll post the time/date once harry's makes that available, and we can either meet there (I'll provide directions), or if anyone who would be passing me anyway to get there, can either carpool in my truck (I might have a dash in by then....) or we could play follow the leader.

When I mentioned this at the last lunch I went to, several of you seemed interested. Their inventory constantly changes so we find out what is there when we get there. Last year I scored double alternator, double AC compressor configuration for a 460... out of an ambulance. Also snagged spare rotors for my crewcab which had plenty of meat left on them. In fact, the tires on my truck were from dollar day. $1 a tire, $1 a rim. Swapped the tires on my rims, and sold the junkyard rims on ebay for $5 a pop.

Sorry I babbled... for me this is adult interaction. I spend most of the day making faces at my newborn son.