Old 02-28-2005, 09:08 AM
mudinford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PCV Vacuum leak at Intake -- cracked 90* rubber Elbow - Cheap and easy fix!

Howdy all! Though i would pass on some info of a cheap fix I figured out this weekend while doing spark plugs and a B1S1 O2S on a friends 5.4 expedition (shudder...).

I got it all done and test drove the truck....i found that the truck seemed to surge and want to stall. I also noted a strong hissing coming from under the hood. Vacuum leak! SO i ran my hand all around for a while and finally found where it was coming from. It was that little 90* rubber fitting that converts the 3/8 PCV Line to a lot bigger. Anyway, it is a weak spot for failure...and the rubber was very brittle. SO i though we were screwed as far as getting another fitting. We went to NAPA and inquired about a fix.....and like i though...none was offered...so i went into the back with the parts guy and looked at what he had to see if i could make anything work....then i saw a spark plug sitting on the wall. I noted that the plug side was a 90* rubber boot and the sizes were PERFECT for what i was looking for....so i bought the plug wire for $4 and pulled the boot off. I installed the hose back on the truck and it fit like it was meant to be! SO if you get a vacuum leak at the PCV fitting at the intake....just get a plug wire boot...and save yourself some cash!