View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 12:09 AM
GypsyR
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Were 94-5 Lightnings roller cams?

I've been shopping for a slightly better roller cam for a 94 351W engine I came up with. But there isn't a whole lot to choose from. The W seemed to drop off the aftermarket map in 1994. So far I've only really looked at Summit and PAW though. I see some mention of the Lightning replacement cams but they apparently are listed as "flat tappet" cams. My W came from some old 1-ton work truck but a friend claims to be building a 94 Lightning engine that's a roller cam. From the parts catalogs it appears that it could be a Lightning engine or a roller cam, but not both. Is this true? And if so, why? I can't imagine all the work Ford put into a Lightning and not giving it a roller cam while the work trucks got them.
As far as cams, I'm thinking Ford's E303 5.0 cam is looking pretty good. I want to add some more fun to a plain old daily driver F150 that's already a bit faster than it needs to be. But I don't want to compromise the truck's ability to get a little serious work done now and then. Any better suggestions?