View Single Post
Old 10-01-2004, 03:53 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ Jones
THAT's the thing..."Well-modified truck." What constitutes a well-modified truck? As I said, I've got a good exhaust, air-intake and the MaxMicro tuner set on Safe Tow. Is this stuff like nitrous, where it would be better to tear down and rebuild the engine with "better" pistons, crankshaft, rods, etc? If so, I guess the modifications I've done will be the end of the road. I really don't want to get into that kind of modifying, as the engine runs like a champ and is far from being on its last legs or anything. Only 81K miles right now. Thanks for the reply. I really think it'll be cool to try out, but if it isn't really a safe deal as a direct bolt-on to a 7.3L that doesn't really have much beyond the basic mods, then I guess I'll have to just wonder! LOL
Before you do any more you need to get some gauges on board. A chip under towing conditions is enough to cause problems; although, the "tow safe" setting is probably OK.

I would caution you a little about the K & N Filter system if it is just the replacement for the OEM element it may not really allow any more air to flow thru and there have been reports in this forum of K & Ns leaking dirty air. I do not have personal experience along those lines but a search here will turn up plenty of negative reports.

As far as Propane Injection goes I have done a lot of research and just ordered a Powershot 2000 system. It is a vapor phase systen so that eliminates some of the problems that come with liquid phase systems.
Propane is not at all like nitrous. Nitrous is an oxidizer, during combustion it produces in a more rapid almost explosive burn. On the other hand Propane is a fuel itself. It produces more power because it ensures that a higher percentage of the diesel that is injected actually burns instead of blowing out your new exhaust system.

Quadzilla is far more knowlegable about Propane than I. In fact most of what I know I have learned from him.