Propane Injection

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 10:38 PM
KJ Jones
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane Injection

OK, this Powerstroke diesel stuff is really starting to be a lot of fun. Got my exhaust on, got the PCM hopped up and K&N kit sucking in the air. Now I'm wondering about this "propane injection" madness that I've been hearing about. I'm thinking about getting the complete setup, but really want to get a better idea of how "safe" this stuff would be on a low-miles '95 7.3L. Can anyone offer insights? Also, is the "power" it's supposed to make purely and solely for just ripping up the street or even dragstrip, or is this a surge I can call upon when towing and trying to hustle up a grade? I'm really not too interested in setting speed records at the track or nothin', but I am trying to safely enhance the truck's power--with stuff that won't have me ruining a fantastic engine or transmission or anything like that. Thansk for your insights...Buy the propane? Or, leave it alone?

Old 10-01-2004, 04:52 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I've had propane on my truck for well over a year, and am a firm believer that it's a terrific addition to a well modified truck. The system can be adjusted to deliver power to help while towing, and the difference in the truck with the gas on/off is amazing. If used improperly, serious damage can result, but used wisely, it's incredible.

Old 10-01-2004, 06:04 AM
KJ Jones
New User
Originally Posted by Quadzilla
I've had propane on my truck for well over a year, and am a firm believer that it's a terrific addition to a well modified truck.
THAT's the thing..."Well-modified truck." What constitutes a well-modified truck? As I said, I've got a good exhaust, air-intake and the MaxMicro tuner set on Safe Tow. Is this stuff like nitrous, where it would be better to tear down and rebuild the engine with "better" pistons, crankshaft, rods, etc? If so, I guess the modifications I've done will be the end of the road. I really don't want to get into that kind of modifying, as the engine runs like a champ and is far from being on its last legs or anything. Only 81K miles right now. Thanks for the reply. I really think it'll be cool to try out, but if it isn't really a safe deal as a direct bolt-on to a 7.3L that doesn't really have much beyond the basic mods, then I guess I'll have to just wonder! LOL

Old 10-01-2004, 07:40 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
I think you need to use water injection along with the propane or you'll break.

Old 10-01-2004, 09:04 AM
semperfipsd
Junior User
KJ, You list your mods but I didn't see anything about adding guages? Before I would do anything else I would add the guages if you haven't already. I too, had the same type of mods that you mentioned but then after being out on this board. I decided that I should addthem to my truck. Boy, do I feel so much better! Really nice knowing what all is going. My .02

Old 10-01-2004, 09:39 AM
KJ Jones
New User
Oh, yeah...gauges. Good point. Don't have 'em yet, and will get what's recommended. Boost? Exhaust and trans temp are the recommended, right? What should the readings be, to represent everything being "normal/OK?"

Old 10-01-2004, 10:13 AM
Max1775
Elder User
Exclamation

Friend of mine installs propane injection and recommends four things if you want to inject on an older PSD. 4" exhaust, cold air intake, gauges (EGT, boost, trans temp), and intercooler. You can get away with not being intercooled, but you have to be very careful to monitor exhaust temps. The system can also be set up to automatically monitor exhaust temps and reduce the amount of injection accordingly. The towing benefits are big, definitely some more umph!

Old 10-01-2004, 03:53 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by KJ Jones
THAT's the thing..."Well-modified truck." What constitutes a well-modified truck? As I said, I've got a good exhaust, air-intake and the MaxMicro tuner set on Safe Tow. Is this stuff like nitrous, where it would be better to tear down and rebuild the engine with "better" pistons, crankshaft, rods, etc? If so, I guess the modifications I've done will be the end of the road. I really don't want to get into that kind of modifying, as the engine runs like a champ and is far from being on its last legs or anything. Only 81K miles right now. Thanks for the reply. I really think it'll be cool to try out, but if it isn't really a safe deal as a direct bolt-on to a 7.3L that doesn't really have much beyond the basic mods, then I guess I'll have to just wonder! LOL
Before you do any more you need to get some gauges on board. A chip under towing conditions is enough to cause problems; although, the "tow safe" setting is probably OK.

I would caution you a little about the K & N Filter system if it is just the replacement for the OEM element it may not really allow any more air to flow thru and there have been reports in this forum of K & Ns leaking dirty air. I do not have personal experience along those lines but a search here will turn up plenty of negative reports.

As far as Propane Injection goes I have done a lot of research and just ordered a Powershot 2000 system. It is a vapor phase systen so that eliminates some of the problems that come with liquid phase systems.
Propane is not at all like nitrous. Nitrous is an oxidizer, during combustion it produces in a more rapid almost explosive burn. On the other hand Propane is a fuel itself. It produces more power because it ensures that a higher percentage of the diesel that is injected actually burns instead of blowing out your new exhaust system.

Quadzilla is far more knowlegable about Propane than I. In fact most of what I know I have learned from him.

Old 10-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
THAT's the thing..."Well-modified truck." What constitutes a well-modified truck? As I said, I've got a good exhaust, air-intake and the MaxMicro Tuner set on Safe Tow. Is this stuff like nitrous, where it would be better to tear down and rebuild the engine with "better" pistons, crankshaft, rods, etc? If so, I guess the modifications I've done will be the end of the road. I really don't want to get into that kind of modifying, as the engine runs like a champ and is far from being on its last legs or anything. Only 81K miles right now. Thanks for the reply. I really think it'll be cool to try out, but if it isn't really a safe deal as a direct bolt-on to a 7.3L that doesn't really have much beyond the basic mods, then I guess I'll have to just wonder! LOL
From your list of mods, I'd say you're "well modified". To optimize a propane system, you'd probably want an intake, exhaust, chip, and gauges to be able to make the most of the system. You don't have to go as far as I did, by adding a smaller turbine housing, but it helps.
I think you need to use water injection along with the propane or you'll break.
Not true. A misadjusted system will damage the engine. A well adjusted system, like mine, won't hurt the engine, and doesn't need water/methanol injection, though it's another step.
KJ, You list your mods but I didn't see anything about adding guages? Before I would do anything else I would add the guages if you haven't already. I too, had the same type of mods that you mentioned but then after being out on this board. I decided that I should addthem to my truck. Boy, do I feel so much better! Really nice knowing what all is going. My .02
Amen!
Friend of mine installs propane injection and recommends four things if you want to inject on an older PSD. 4" exhaust, cold air intake, gauges (EGT, boost, trans temp), and intercooler. You can get away with not being intercooled, but you have to be very careful to monitor exhaust temps. The system can also be set up to automatically monitor exhaust temps and reduce the amount of injection accordingly. The towing benefits are big, definitely some more umph!
An intercooler isn't necessary, though many people add them. I'm running with out one, and haven't experienced any temperature concerns. My 1.0AR turbine housing and custom burned chip help keep the temps down, though.
I would caution you a little about the K & N Filter system if it is just the replacement for the OEM element it may not really allow any more air to flow thru and there have been reports in this forum of K & Ns leaking dirty air. I do not have personal experience along those lines but a search here will turn up plenty of negative reports.

As far as Propane Injection goes I have done a lot of research and just ordered a Powershot 2000 system. It is a vapor phase systen so that eliminates some of the problems that come with liquid phase systems.
Propane is not at all like nitrous. Nitrous is an oxidizer, during combustion it produces in a more rapid almost explosive burn. On the other hand Propane is a fuel itself. It produces more power because it ensures that a higher percentage of the diesel that is injected actually burns instead of blowing out your new exhaust system.
Right on, brother!
Quadzilla is far more knowlegable about Propane than I. In fact most of what I know I have learned from him.
You're too kind. I'm glad to have been able to help.

Old 10-01-2004, 05:51 PM
KJ Jones
New User
All taken into account, and all is very much appreciated! Got some guages to get, and since it appears I'm "set" in the modification areas (I will check that K&N setup though) I just might venture into this new world of serious boost!

Thanks a bunch, fellas! I really do think this is one of the most valuable info sites on the 'net!

KJ

Old 10-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
If you decide to get propane, there are some questions that will likely come up. If I can help you get through the maze, let me know. I'm not a vendor, and have nothing to sell. Just trying to help.