View Single Post
Old 08-01-2004, 10:39 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
The PSD is the most durable engine compared to? It has to be in comparison to something. I dont think they meant the duramax. It was not in production in 94. Ssoooo.... I have lept to a conclusion based on the available information and showed why I think it is incorrect. I based durability on the longest lasting not on all of em on the road. I think this was incorrect for me to do. The cummins has more engines that have lasted an extreme amount of time but this does not mean they are more reliable or dependable. However I read a recent JD power survey that says that the cummins has 28 complaints per hundred and the PSD has 60 or so. So for reliability at the time of the survey. It leans heavily towards the cummins.
Your first mistake is when you leapt to conclusions. Your second mistake is basing durability on an entire line of engines on less than ten of each kind. You have less than ten million mile Cummins motors, and you have seen less than 5 PSDs on shop floors. I base durability on which engine is going to get me home no matter what, and evidently, 98% of all PSDs made can do that. I don't see that claim for Cummins. Odds are, engine vs. engine on a single scale, the PSD will last longer. This is true until you show me something saying that more than 98% of all Cummins engines in Dodge trucks are still on the road. I haven't seen that claim from Chevrolet, either.