Old 05-17-2004, 02:36 PM
74ExplorerHalfcab
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BRONCO the Best?

Jeep vs. Early Bronco.

I don't really know which are better Jeeps or Broncos. It all depends on what you want. I have both. The primary reason I bought my Grand Cherokee was that I needed a 4-door kid hauler that I knew would be capable off road (in the future I may actually want to wheel it, now it's too nice). I think it's head and shoulders above anything else offered in a smaller utility by GM (get Real), Dodge (too Fat), or Ford (too Soft). It's the only 4x4 sport utility that offers solid Dana axles. The only other 4x4's I would consider would have been an Xterra (too top heavy) or Four Runner (too underpowered).

I could have bought just another CJ (semi-cool), YJ (ugly), or TJ (underpowered) but why? I don't plan on modifying anything out the hilt nor do I plan on entering any rock crawling championships.

The Early Bronco offers the best of all worlds. It's Strong, Capable, Unique, and Beautiful. It's a basic vehicle with no gizmo's gadgets or unneeded do-dads. It is a true "utility" vehicle. It has the Ideal wheelbase (note that Jeep just came out with an extended wheelbase wrangler).

My first Bronco was an 88 full size. It's a great handling full size vehicle with a lot of torque and the only thing that would even come close might be a full size Blazer. It's only limited by its departure angle and its twin traction beam Dana44 (witch is yet to cause one minutes problem).

One of these days Ford might realize that there are people out there who desire a medium size two door vehicle with V8 power, solid axles, and a boxed frame. Please spare us from independent suspensioned, electric shift transfer cased, pseudo, car based wanna be 4x4's. The Escape would have been ultra cool had it been placed on a frame with solid axles a real transfer case. The diesel thing in the new Bronco might be cool but please give something close to the original as possible.

Hey here is an idea. Let Ford or any other manufacturer offer something basic like a Bronco with no cloth or leather upholstery, with removable doors and top, and solid axles. It doesn't need power locks or windows, keyless entry, or a DVD player. Oh and sell it to us under $20k. They could do it but there is way too much profit in all the things we don't really need. Where are the real 4x4's of the 21st century? Oh well I guess in 20 years we will all be driving a TJ and that’s not as bad as an Element, Highlander, or Trailblazer.

My advise is go find a nicer 78-79 full size bronco while the prices are low. They are great trucks that were built by men for men. And will one day be as sought after as Fords other classic 4x4.

Last edited by 74ExplorerHalfcab; 05-17-2004 at 02:38 PM.