View Single Post
Old 05-13-2004, 10:05 AM
larry derouin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHOA!!!! I know I'm probably gonna get FLAMED for this but what the HEY! I'm old enough to be able to say what I did and not worry about being politically correct in saying it!

Everybody is missing the original problem!! F2501988 said a wire on one of the relays broke and he replaced the relays! Did anyone think to ask if he repaired the wires??? DID HE???? If not, why?? and if so did that solve the problem?

Sounds like everyone jumped on a spark or lack of spark induced thread and is putting the fuel delivery problem on the back burner. I'd look at the system that originally caused the problem and verify CORRECT operation 1st before jumping around and throwing parts (he may be young and not have a lot of $$$$$$$!!!) at it for no obvious reason than "my truck did that."

Here's what he should have done.
1.) repaired the wire to the relay (we'll assume for the moment that it was the Fuel pump relay). Verify repair and operation of pump by turning on ignition.
2. If NO START....WHY???
a.) no fuel getting to the engine......(check fuel pressure on the Fuel Header with a gauge). Go back to one and trouble shoot no fuel pressure (electric pumps 1 ea in tank...Low pressure and a frame mounted HIGH Pressure pump. )
b.) no spark.....Check the coil for 12V on the positive side of the coil. check all the Spark wires for continuity an spec out oHms. Check gaps and condition of plugs (clean and regap or replace and GAP as necessary). Check all (engine to body, engine to frame, frame to body) system grounds for clean and tight connections (I've seen more problems caused by dirty connections than bad modules.) Trouble shoot the electrical system with a Multimeter per manual (get both Haynes and Chilton! What one doesn't cover the other one will.)

He may have jarred a connector loose fixing the wire to the relay. Make sure all the connectors are clean and tight on that side of the engine. (Pull each one apart, spray with contact cleaner and click back together.)

Lets all save each other some $$$$$ and think out the problem before putting it down on paper. Just because your truck did the "same thing"(died) doesn't mean that the exact same problem caused it. Trouble shooting with basic tools CAN be FUN and EDUCATIONAL (that means ya learn something sometimes!) and you SAVE $$$$ by doing it yerself and not giving it to the FORD DEALERSHIP!!!! Get the manuals, READ THEM, and go tear yer trucks down! Nothing like some dirt and grease under the nails to get Mom, girlfriend, or wife p***ed off at ya.......unless she's passing tools or doing her own work on the truck, then that's even better!

Larry