View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 06:02 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by kermmydog
Interesting comment. I feel the same way. The question I have had was WHY the POLICE package doesn't use the 3.5 Eco-boost if it was such a great engine.
I'll never buy a new truck but I think 5.0 is going quickly find it into older hot rod vehicles. I was never much on the mod motors until I bought a 99 Crown Vic P-71 & that 4.6 runs & 300,000 miles on them is not uncommon. The 5.0 is built on a similar design but the heads are much better which was always the BIG issue with the 4.6, 5.4L. A friend of mine owned a tune shop & was able to flow check & modify carbs heads etc. He always said that the 4.6 & 5.4 with a better designed head would be unbeatable. The 5.0 Coyote has those much better heads.
2013 Ford Police Interceptor | All-New Police Interceptor Law Enforcement Sedans & SUVs | Ford.com

Not sure where you're getting your info from Craig but the ecoboost is available in the 2.0L and 3.5L configurations in Interceptor package. Va and Maine state police are using them, I've seen them.

The ecoboost represents about 45% of all F-150's sold since 2011 while the 5.0L, 3.7L and the 6.2L all share the remaining 55% of the trucks sold since then.

I'd be very proud to own a 5.0L, it's a fantastic engine with some serious upgrade potential and a lower entry cost and the best part is, it's MPG's are every bit as good as the ecoboost when similarly geared.