Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 5.0L Coyote
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

5.0L Coyote 5.0l Ford OHC Coyote engine for 2011+

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2013, 03:57 PM
New User

duerj70 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wanting to go from an ecoboost to a 5.0

I have a 2011 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and have around 50000 miles on it and I hate it or should I say despise it, the motor that is and not the truck. I have been wondering can you put in a 5.0 coyote in it in place of the 3.5? I know i'll have to change out the wireing and ecm but just want to know if it can be done. And where can I find one at? Do I need to go down to my local ford dealer and by one? Will the same transmission work or will i need to purchase one of those too. Any information would be great.

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Post Fiend

85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
Trade or sell. This engine change would cost more than any beating you will take on a sale or trade.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:37 AM
New User

mgldvm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why go through the hassle of swapping out the motors? I"d just unload it and get a 5.0. Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the Eco. I"ve got a 2013 5.0 myself and absolutely love it, wouldn't go back and get the Eco, but just wondering.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:34 PM
New User

Pic-ups is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just ordered a new truck with the 5 lt. I was undedcided but after talking with local mechanic he recommeded the 5 lt.He seems to think that long term the 5. lt will have lower maint.- repair costs.Just followed his advice as hes always treated me right. Ken
Old 04-16-2014, 04:46 PM
ALIEN FTE AZ CL

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic-ups View Post
Just ordered a new truck with the 5 lt. I was undedcided but after talking with local mechanic he recommeded the 5 lt.He seems to think that long term the 5. lt will have lower maint.- repair costs.Just followed his advice as hes always treated me right. Ken
Interesting comment. I feel the same way. The question I have had was WHY the POLICE package doesn't use the 3.5 Eco-boost if it was such a great engine.
I'll never buy a new truck but I think 5.0 is going quickly find it into older hot rod vehicles. I was never much on the mod motors until I bought a 99 Crown Vic P-71 & that 4.6 runs & 300,000 miles on them is not uncommon. The 5.0 is built on a similar design but the heads are much better which was always the BIG issue with the 4.6, 5.4L. A friend of mine owned a tune shop & was able to flow check & modify carbs heads etc. He always said that the 4.6 & 5.4 with a better designed head would be unbeatable. The 5.0 Coyote has those much better heads.
1995 Ford F150 4x4
Old 04-18-2014, 06:02 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermmydog View Post
Interesting comment. I feel the same way. The question I have had was WHY the POLICE package doesn't use the 3.5 Eco-boost if it was such a great engine.
I'll never buy a new truck but I think 5.0 is going quickly find it into older hot rod vehicles. I was never much on the mod motors until I bought a 99 Crown Vic P-71 & that 4.6 runs & 300,000 miles on them is not uncommon. The 5.0 is built on a similar design but the heads are much better which was always the BIG issue with the 4.6, 5.4L. A friend of mine owned a tune shop & was able to flow check & modify carbs heads etc. He always said that the 4.6 & 5.4 with a better designed head would be unbeatable. The 5.0 Coyote has those much better heads.
2013 Ford Police Interceptor | All-New Police Interceptor Law Enforcement Sedans & SUVs | Ford.com

Not sure where you're getting your info from Craig but the ecoboost is available in the 2.0L and 3.5L configurations in Interceptor package. Va and Maine state police are using them, I've seen them.

The ecoboost represents about 45% of all F-150's sold since 2011 while the 5.0L, 3.7L and the 6.2L all share the remaining 55% of the trucks sold since then.

I'd be very proud to own a 5.0L, it's a fantastic engine with some serious upgrade potential and a lower entry cost and the best part is, it's MPG's are every bit as good as the ecoboost when similarly geared.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 04-30-2014, 10:27 PM
ALIEN FTE AZ CL

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
Not sure where you're getting your info from Craig but the ecoboost is available in the 2.0L and 3.5L configurations in Interceptor package. Va and Maine state police are using them, I've seen them.
The last time I looked was when Nevada got one of the Explorers. I was talking to the NHP Officer driving it. It was 2013. The EcoBoost wasn't as the link you posted available until 2014.
Yet why is it an Option vs Standard. My question I guess if the Eco Boost was Fords dream child why did they develop a 3.7L as the standard engine. My only guess is because of cost. I question how many departments will go EB? I know Arizona DPS has some Explorers but haven't gotten close enough to one to talk to the officer to see what they are using.
All I know is Ford has & will loose a lot of Police vehicles sales. The Crown Vics were the CROWN JEWEL of police vehicles. I love my 99 CV P71.
Chargers & Caprices are taking a bunch of the sales. I can't wait for the Caprice to go to auctions. A 6.0 6 speed rear wheel drive.
1995 Ford F150 4x4
Old 05-01-2014, 05:23 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I'm seeing the Taurus and the Exploder pop up all over the place. Some are EB and some are not. I'm having a hard time seeing how a city PD could justify a turbo vehicle when it's better suited for the state PD's.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 PM
ALIEN FTE AZ CL

Smile

Quote:
I'm seeing the Taurus and the Exploder pop up all over the place. Some are EB and some are not. I'm having a hard time seeing how a city PD could justify a turbo vehicle when it's better suited for the state PD's.
Are these Ford sedan interceptors Taurus's? I haven't seen any of them out here in the west. I live in the Tri State area of the Colorado River so I see not only Arizona but Nevada & California LEOs.
I see alot of Chargers & Explorers haven't seen the Caprice except in the Jeff Gordon new Pepsi commercial.
I still don't understand why Ford offers a 3.7 as the standard engine. Why did they develop a special engine when they have pretty much bet the farm & animals on the Eco Boost.
1995 Ford F150 4x4
Old 05-02-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Are these Ford sedan interceptors Taurus's? I haven't seen any of them out here in the west. I live in the Tri State area of the Colorado River so I see not only Arizona but Nevada & California LEOs.
I see alot of Chargers & Explorers haven't seen the Caprice except in the Jeff Gordon new Pepsi commercial.
I still don't understand why Ford offers a 3.7 as the standard engine. Why did they develop a special engine when they have pretty much bet the farm & animals on the Eco Boost.
That's a good question Craig. I'd wager that Ford can't keep up with fleet demands and personal use sales of all the ecoboost engines that would be needed otherwise. The 3.5L EB represents nearly half of the F-150 sales, it's in the Flex, Exploder, Taurus and is now being offered in the 2015 Transit Van which will no doubt be dubbed as the T-series.

I'm not convinced that the resale market will be very good on a hard run ecoboost Police interceptor until the engine has proven itself and the public becomes more comfortable with it.

I can't imagine what I taxi cab would need with an ecoboost engine.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 05-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
I can't imagine what I taxi cab would need with an ecoboost engine.
Ever been to Chicago? I swear the guy ramped his mini van on the bridge over the river. At 70mph I closed my eyes to start praying, I don't know what he topped out at.

Nancy, you been going to that healer for twelve years, and you still get headaches every night.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Senior User

mpwbw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
All I know is Ford has & will loose a lot of Police vehicles sales. The Crown Vics were the CROWN JEWEL of police vehicles. I love my 99 CV P71.
Chargers & Caprices are taking a bunch of the sales. I can't wait for the Caprice to go to auctions. A 6.0 6 speed rear wheel drive.
To my knowledge, Ford lost a lot of fleet sales because they won't discount anymore to taxi companies, police departments, etc. P.D. here in Ohio vary in their tastes since I've seen Chargers, Explorers, and other brands used. I would think the most important factor besides safety of vehicle is cost, and it seems that everyone is struggling today to make ends meet.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Junior User

David W Jones is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

, it's MPG's are every bit as good as the ecoboost when similarly geared.
My guess is that similarly geared the 5.0 would beat the EcoBoost's mileage every time.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Senior User

BuzzLOL is starting off with a positive reputation.
. Looks like the OP was a one post wonder who never came back for the answers...
Old 07-20-2014, 02:49 AM
New User

IJAZ FAHTED is starting off with a positive reputation.
The lead truck technician at my local mega Ford Dealer told me the 3.5 EB is problems and the 5.0 is a better engine and that's the main reason why I picked the 5.0.
I have the FX4 and the option for the 3.5 EB is much less expensive than the other F-150 models and I still went with the 5.0 even when everybody else said I was crazy or I own the ONLY FX4 with the 5.0
Old 07-20-2014, 02:49 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 5.0L Coyote