View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 02:29 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tojoski
I'm up for a road trip.. Heck possibly even an overnight stay in the camper... what parks did you have in mind?
Well, depends on what everyone is interested in. Springhill is a Corp park in Barling (East of FSM) that has two playgrounds for the kids at heart to choose from as well as several camping spots and two pavilions that I can remember off the top of my head.

Campsite Map V2 - SPRINGHILL, AR - Recreation.gov

Looks like after the first of March, they'll have attendants at the park so reservations are possible; before then it's first come, first served. It's fairly easy to get to...I-40 west (from anywhere in the state) to Van Buren; I540 south toward FSM...then exit onto Hwy 59 south and you'll run into it. If we want to get really off the beaten path...there's Lake Ft. Smith.

Lake Fort Smith State Park - Boston Mountain Range - Ozark Mountains - Arkansas State Parks

Let me start off by saying...you want to go to this park. Just like Devil's Den...10-15 miles off the super slab on the two lane roads will get you there. The park is relatively new (built 2003-2004), so it's still got that new park look to it. I know there's cell phone coverage...my employer had a rules class there last February. I'm not saying it's a bad place...but it's out of the way. Working a little back east...there is Mount Magazine; awesome views as well a hiking trails. Though a March GTG could be interesting if the temps drop and the cloud cover comes down (freezing drizzle/fog). The weather is supposed to be good this weekend...so I can snap a couple of photos of Springhill and Mount Magazine if anyone is interested.