View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Kert0307
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.0 to 12v Cummins swap

Well, the 6.0 has served me well, but it has come to a point where I think I am monetarily ahead to swap in a 12v Cummins than to "fix" the 6.0 to keep it going.

I just took delivery on a 12v 5.9 Cummins yesterday. Plan is to tear it all apart to inspect. Assuming the short block comes out good, ie, no chewed up bearings and they all plasti-gauge ok. It's getting put back together with upgraded injectors, turbo housings, fuel pin/pump upgrades and head studs. Along with all new accessories. Rough HP goal between 350-400hp.

I'm going to use the conversion parts from dieselconversion.com to keep the torqushift and use custom tuning to the Ford TCM to keep all the nice tow/haul features. I have all the parts coming to keep full functionality in the stock dash, and keep a functional cruise control. I'm going to document the swap in this thread and post final costs and reviews after completion. I also have a deadline of about a month, so this should go pretty fast...

Disclaimer: Yes I have weighed the pro's and cons of keeping the 6.0 and I know if my state starts emissions testing that with this engine I will not pass.