View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I doubt we will ever see a return of the V10 to the pickup market. Engine technology has come a long way, where we no longer need 10 cylinders to produce that amount of power (from a gas motor.. sorry, had to ).

Things like CAFE and consumer drive pushed the V10 out of the pickup market. Ford cares more about its customers buying work or tow vehicles more than the grocery getter, and fact is, 9 times out of 10, the commercial owner will choose an equal (or in the case of the 6.2L, more) powerful V8 option over a V10 option. And I would assume most non-commercial consumers would agree.

Same reason we see turbocharged V6s moving in on classic V8 territory.

Why they opted to put it in the 650s and 750s, I'm not actually sure... I like the V10 as much as the next guy... But I like it in a 1999-2004 F-250/350. I dont really see it being viable in the modern medium duty sector. Without starting a huge V10/Diesel argument, the facts are facts, and it just isnt that powerful of a motor by today's standards, even compared to today's gas motor standards.

It was good for its time. It was a great option for people in the early 2000s who wanted power comparable to a diesel, but didnt want the associated responsibilities of diesel ownership.

Personally, I think it was time. It just didnt fit anymore.

Originally Posted by TosaFords
F-250s and F-350s aren't rated by the EPA.
Yes they are.